We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New Car & Insurance question

jimpix12
jimpix12 Posts: 1,095 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 22 March 2010 at 3:08PM in Motoring
Hi guys, I'm about to buy a 3-month old car and wanted some input please. I have received insurance quotes if taken out today - but my birthday is within the next week and so I then applied for quotes as if I was that age now, and amazingly it goes down by around 15%! I don't want to delay purchasing the vehicle in case it sells as it's well-priced, "high spec" and "rare". Therefore I think there are 2 options:

1. Take out the insurance today and cancel it in a week's time (as it's within the 14 day cooling off period) and then take it out again when I'm a "year older" in a few days time.

2. Get 7 day temp insurance (or similar) and then take out the 'full' insurance in 7 days time when I'll be older.

Do any dealers here know if 7 day insurance is ever available from the dealership on <6 month old cars? I know manufacturers offer it on brand new cars but this is a few months old. Of course, I could ask the dealer to throw that in if they do that?

It may sound like splitting hairs but 15% adds up to around £250 so I think it's worth it! Any advice is welcome.
"The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."

Comments

  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Unless it's a Veyron or Lambo I would wait. If the car is still for sale then offer a lower amount, and if it's sold then another good 'un will no doubt come along, whatever the salesman says :)
  • 2 things

    1, car insurance isnt subject to 14 day cooling off period as it comes into force from the start date. you will therefore be subjected to cancellation scales of the insuerer. Plus if you have an accident you will be liable for the full year

    2, speak to the insurers some maybe willing to start the insurance as if you were a year older but 7 days early of your birthday. its isnt un heard of, tho not from a comparrison site.
  • lovethymini
    lovethymini Posts: 718 Forumite
    Sometimes you don't drive the car away on the day you agree to purchase it anyway.

    Why don't you go along and look at the car, and if you want to buy it, put a deposit down, that way, you know you've got the car, and you can start the insurance on your birthday, when you collect it

    What is it, anyway? :)
  • kwaks
    kwaks Posts: 494 Forumite
    Are you buying from a dealer? Some (I won't mention names) can give you 7 days insurance free of charge.

    Otherwise speak to insurers for lower rate early or buy the car and pick it up next week.
  • jimpix12
    jimpix12 Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies. I don't *mind* buying it, then insuring it/picking it up next week, but I'd rather not. Impatience is a virtue and all that... :eek: Obviously if there is something 'not right' I'll walk away, but having been looking for some time I'm quite clued up on this particualr vehicle and the 'right price' etc. Plus, work takes me away until after Easter in a few days.

    The dealer is a one-off place that deals in "high end" vehicles, although the one I'm interested in isn't as "high-end" as a lot of the others they have (Lambos etc)!

    This begs the question, actually, if the dealer has reclaimed the VED (which I believe they have) then would I need to provide proof of insurance to the dealer? I know that's how it works for new cars but unsure of the "red tape" involved with used ones. By the way, it's also on a private plate currently, to make matters more confusing (or not?).
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
  • I got 7 days free insurance when I bought my car from Audi
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I suspect the time taken to get a new number plate is going to solve your problem.

    One other thought, if it's still on a private plate does that mean it's being sold on behalf of someone else rather than by the garage? If so it might affect your sale of goods rights
  • jimpix12
    jimpix12 Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 22 March 2010 at 6:20PM
    vaio, I'm not sure. I will inquire further although the dealer is now closed. Is it not just a case of swapping over with the original plates and informing the DVLA?
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
  • karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    No, you need to go to dvla offices and get the plate put on retention. Which will cost the dealer £105. Then they need to wait on it getting put on retention and a new number given, 99% of the time it gets the origional one back. This can take anything up to 2-3 weeks?
    Less time if the plate is going straight onto another car as the offices can do it there and then if they arent busy. And that only costs £80.
    What kind of car is it that its so rare?
  • jimpix12
    jimpix12 Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 22 March 2010 at 6:58PM
    It turns out the dealer is dealing with the transfer already.
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.