IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Dvla problems

Options
hello i had a visit from a debt collector and a police officer the collector said he had a warrant for my arrest for the sum of twelve hundred and ninty four pounds and stated it was for non payment of fines going back to 2002 it seems i sold a vehicle in 2002 and because the dvla had not recieved a change of ownership i was liable for the cretin who never renewed the road tax on two occasions this was put before the courts all without my knowledge the first i had heared of this was in january 2010 never once was i contacted about this issue ,i was summoned to appear before the court with them saying they had to trace me. i explained to the court of which there was only one lady who was only interested in getting my current income to pay the fine she stated that it was up to me to prove that i had sold the vehicle some eight years ago of which i replied would anyone have proof from so long ago i got no answer except the show proof i stated that i was prepared to swear under oath that i had sold the vehicle with some two months tax left on the vehicle but alass it fell on deaf ears is there any way i can prevent these leeches from carrying out this oppressive behaviour many thanks Daniel.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    See this thread below, and reading further down the replies, see the link I posted to a Consumer Action Group thread in similar circumstances:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2286743&highlight=dvla+court+posted+v5

I take it you've only spoken to someone at the Court on the phone so far? I think you will need to appear in Court for the hearing and swear that you did post the documents to the DVLA in good faith, all that time ago. You don't have to prove service of your posted item.

Then that should be it, case dismissed (hopefully). :)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why does it take 8 years for any of this problem to come to light? If the change did not go through he /she would have had umpteen requests for tax renewal and I don't believe the OP would have just ignored all this paperwork.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why does it take 8 years for any of this problem to come to light? If the change did not go through he /she would have had umpteen requests for tax renewal and I don't believe the OP would have just ignored all this paperwork.

It's odd isn't it?

The DVLA are known for being keen on making money from private parking rip-offs, maybe they are also pursuing old cases where they aren't even sure who owned the car since maybe they - the DVLA - can't find the records. Maybe all the reminders went to a different address?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • kwaks
    kwaks Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    Follow coupan mads advice, you sending off the paperwork is all that was required. If the DVLA did not recieve it then its not your problem.

Might also want to ask for a refund of the amount paid in insurance premiums over the years which goes to run the database of insured vehicles, seeing as they obviously cannot check who insured the vehicle<tongue firmly inserted in cheek>.

Seriously though, ask the questions, where is the car, why no demands to your address, who insured it in those 8 yrs etc etc. Make them see just how stupid they really are.
  • donnallmn
    Options
    i have been to the court today and all i got was a clerk asking how i would like to pay i was given no hearing at all and secondly yes all the paperwork went to a prior address thanks dan.
  • kwaks
    kwaks Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    Then you need to apply for the judgement to be set aside.
  • donnallmn
    Options
    To who, I have no idea who to contact, I wrote a long letter to the dvla the day the bailiff turned up on my doorstep (I'm yet to receive a response) I have tried a solicitor who basically fobbed me off with go in state your case and it will either be quashed or they will make you pay the fine, I went to court this morning all ready to state my case however all I got was some lady sitting at a desk and an empty courtroom, I intend to go to the citizens advice on wednesday to see if they can offer any advice but other than that I dont know what steps to take next
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    slightly off topic but who pays for the police officer when a baliff knocks
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income