Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

mattress ,,best place to buy,,,and what type?

New Post Advanced Search

mattress ,,best place to buy,,,and what type?

10 replies 1.6K views
pedigreeblupedigreeblu Forumite
61 posts
hi, i need a new mattress for a new bed i got for my sons bedroom, hes 9, its a double bed, the type with wooden slats across, its the first time ive ever been looking for a mattress and im staggered by the different types and range of prices, can someone help and advice me on firstly,,what type of mattress i need, and secondly where can i get the best deal, regards
Titch :)

Replies

• me2me2 Forumite
    52 posts
    https://www.coopbedshop.co.uk

I have purchased from co-op bedshop

They were very helpful and competitive
  • my advice (i spent 9 years in retail selling flooring&beds) ....it would be ideal if you could take your son and try as many as possible although from experience I know that this is sometimes a tad difficult. Buying the cheapest is often a bad way to go about this, at 9 year old your son needs a good degree of comfort ( as do we all). Ask yourself how long you will keep the mattress, if its till atleast he is 18 then you need to look at something of good quality. If its only 3 to 4 years the cheaper end of the scale would be ok. I would say £100 to £150 for cheap and atleast £200 to £300 for quality.
    The two main types on the market are open coil (traditional type spring) and pocket sprung(individual springs.)
    Pocket sprung are the best for posture, support and overall comfort but tend to be more expensive. The springs act individually to weight and so support where needed the best. Dont worry that the springs will go through the gaps of the slats, this is rubbish and would only ever happen if the bed was used by a rather large adult (and then unlikely). for example a really good make is millbrook.
    Open coil come in lots of styles and names, these can be very good or very cheap, for an example a really good make is sealy.
    Overall look at the material, a good heavy damask or similar. Not the cheap plasticy feeling nylon types.
    Look at the stitching, neat strong and at best doubled.
    It is recommended that a bed or mattress should be changed every 10 - 15 years, good quality will give you this, cheaper will give you half at best.

Its very difficult as there are bargains occasionally but be careful, most of the retailers that I am familiar with will high price goods, i.e was £400 now half price £200. This is rarely true, the goods are on sale for 28 days at the higher price then sell the rest of the time at the lower rate. It is unfortunately perfect legal. This happens with lots of goods, esp furniture.

Beds in my opinion shouldn't be bought as cheap as possible as most of us spend considerably a lot of time in them, and when comparing them to say a sofa for the front room they are quite good value for money and important items, however the other rule sometimes applies as a £1000 bed may suit one person and another may prefer a £200 bed..

good luck
  • alanobrienalanobrien Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi, i need a new mattress for a new bed i got for my sons bedroom, hes 9, its a double bed, the type with wooden slats across, its the first time ive ever been looking for a mattress and im staggered by the different types and range of prices, can someone help and advice me on firstly,,what type of mattress i need, and secondly where can i get the best deal, regards

Also look at the new memory foam mattress types.
    Some can be expensive but some are not and are still excellent quality and very comfortable (no springs)

Take a look here

http://www.sleeponit.co.uk/
  • mrnomoneybagsmrnomoneybags Forumite
    607 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Makro normally sell Silent Night ones pretty cheap ....... £110 + vat me thinks
  • MustangMustang Forumite
    87 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    What about a single futon? I use a good quality cotton-stuffed futon but put it on a low slatted bed frame, like the one you described.

I started using a futon 20+ years ago, and have never wanted to go back to a 'normal' mattress. I find them much more comfortable and they are supposed to be excellent for your back. I've never had any back pain of any sort...

Just a thought.....
  • borgmanborgman Forumite
    188 posts
    alanobrien wrote:
    Also look at the new memory foam mattress types.
    Some can be expensive but some are not and are still excellent quality and very comfortable (no springs)

Take a look here

http://www.sleeponit.co.uk/

are these the same as Tempur mattresses?
  • alanobrienalanobrien Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    borgman wrote:
    are these the same as Tempur mattresses?

Some of them yes, Tempur make latex and memory foam which are the less costly version.
  • The_BiffThe_Biff Forumite
    405 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Very impressed - especially their in store displays & cross sections. Had one 7 years & still guaranteed. The advice I got from assistasnt was excellent.
    Also - check the Ikea scratch & dent room. Could be small mark resulting in good price.
    Nice to save.
  • vansboyvansboy Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    IKEA!!

Yep - they are REALLY trying to get this part of their business going.

VB
  • hi, thanks for the advice, but im still looking,,,,i went to ikea in warrington, my first visit and i was very impressed with the product range and prices, however on the bed side after spending 30 mins looking and trying mattresses which seemed very good value i discovered that they are all european sizes, ie double bed length is 6FT 7inch as opposed to the uk 6ft 3inch, so as ive got a standard uk bed frame the ikea mattress wouldnt fit.
    so im still open to anymore suggestions of mattress suppliers, regards
    Titch :)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support