We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Do I lose 4 years NCB when changing car insurers
Bellabooboo_2
Posts: 11 Forumite
in Motoring
Car Insurance is due for renewal so I have been trying to find the best offers. I have been with the AA for a long time and have earned the full 9 years no claims bonus NCB :j
Having recieved much better (often half the price of The AA) renewal premium offers, I have a dilema. All of the cheaper companies will only protect 5 years NCB as full discount. Having clarified this with them, I eventually found out (after the twisting sales speak) that :-
- I get better offers for my current full 9 years than if I were said to have only 5 years as maximum.
- If I insured with the new company and then next year needed proof of NCB, then I could provide their evidence together with that of the previous insurer, The AA, to my then new company.
- However, were I to make a fault claim and lose, lets say 2 years ncb, then my proof of NCB will only be 3 years, essentially a reduction of my hard earned 9 years. So I ve entered the policy having 9 years and leaving after a claim with 3 years (no matter how minor).:mad:
Can this really be true as, to me, it sounds a bit like daylight robbery?
If it is true, then do people know of any companies who honour the traditional 9 year ncb protection?
- so far i have only found Liverpool Victoria (too pricey quote)
Any help appreciated.
(Unsure where to actually post this thread - so have also entered into your insurance forum - please remove, if necessary, whichever is less appropriate)
Having recieved much better (often half the price of The AA) renewal premium offers, I have a dilema. All of the cheaper companies will only protect 5 years NCB as full discount. Having clarified this with them, I eventually found out (after the twisting sales speak) that :-
- I get better offers for my current full 9 years than if I were said to have only 5 years as maximum.
- If I insured with the new company and then next year needed proof of NCB, then I could provide their evidence together with that of the previous insurer, The AA, to my then new company.
- However, were I to make a fault claim and lose, lets say 2 years ncb, then my proof of NCB will only be 3 years, essentially a reduction of my hard earned 9 years. So I ve entered the policy having 9 years and leaving after a claim with 3 years (no matter how minor).:mad:
Can this really be true as, to me, it sounds a bit like daylight robbery?
If it is true, then do people know of any companies who honour the traditional 9 year ncb protection?
- so far i have only found Liverpool Victoria (too pricey quote)
Any help appreciated.
(Unsure where to actually post this thread - so have also entered into your insurance forum - please remove, if necessary, whichever is less appropriate)
0
Comments
-
LV for one accepts 9+ years NCB and they're pretty cheap. I've encountered this before but have always managed to persuade the insurer to provide something in writing showing the true amount of NCB, rather than just 5+ years. Also, surely with a full NCB record you should have them protected, in which case you wouldn't be losing any discount if making claim.0
-
Thanks for the reply.
I did make a claim 2 years ago whilst my NCB was protected. This together with getting 2 lots of SP30 s giving 6 penalty points means the new insurers are not offering to protect the NCB.
PS - LV (Liverpool Victoria) did quote much higher than the AA (unusually) so I don t think they are an option. Anyone know of other companies that will offer (or hopefully protect) 9 years NCB?0 -
if you can't get a cheaper quote you can at least get a bit of cashback by going through a cashback site
0 -
Bellabooboo wrote: »If it is true, then do people know of any companies who honour the traditional 9 year ncb protection?
- so far i have only found Liverpool Victoria (too pricey quote)
Any help appreciated.
(Unsure where to actually post this thread - so have also entered into your insurance forum - please remove, if necessary, whichever is less appropriate)
There is no such thing as a 'traditional 9 year ncb protection'
What's 'traditional' is actually 5 years.
A few companies (LV among them) started offering longer ncb periods some years back in an effort to retain customers. Most of the market, as you have found, hasn't followed suit.
The additional years (over 5) actually only get you a very small extra NCB in percentage terms.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards