We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

LPG Conversion

2»

Comments

  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    I did forget the photo yesterday, i think its a 60l tank.

    The tank was slightly bigger than the old spare wheel and jack etc. I have since cut a piece of mdf and a few supports to make my boot floor flat again. I lost 1 inch of height.

    11236_217115671017_575321017_4084630_5704912_n.jpg
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • Tucker
    Tucker Posts: 1,098
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have been driving on LPG for 2 and a half years. It's not for the faint hearted if you don't carefully select a reliable installer, who's going to be around in several years time.

    I recovered the cost in less than 20,000 miles. I paid £1200 for a system that is towards the cheaper end of the market. It's done the job, but as said above the likes of the PRINS system has a strong reputation.

    I am now at the good stage where every tank full is a saving. My local independant bottled gas suppliers do LPG at 52p a litre, so compared to £1.15 it's good going and I get 30mpg compaired to 35mpg on petrol.

    Really, you need to decide if you are keeping the car a min of 4 years. Any less and I would say don't do it. Swap it for a diesel that will do 60+mpg next time instead.
  • calebdylan
    calebdylan Posts: 168 Forumite
    its a nice idea but beware of it cause huge alterations to the normal model of a car without permission will made the insurance company not to pay during refund or claiming periods
  • iNath
    iNath Posts: 382 Forumite
    calebdylan wrote: »
    its a nice idea but beware of it cause huge alterations to the normal model of a car without permission will made the insurance company not to pay during refund or claiming periods
    Which is why you always check first and inform them when the conversion is complete. I'm with Direct Line and they just asked if they were certified (the installer) and sent a new certificate with the modification on it.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,965
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    calebdylan wrote: »
    its a nice idea but beware of it cause huge alterations to the normal model of a car without permission will made the insurance company not to pay during refund or claiming periods
    Well that was nice and clear what you meant.
    Most insurance companies you just have to tell I think, and they say ok fine, as long as its with an LPGA installer.
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Woo hooo they haven't backtracked in this budget, same as mentioned before and I can live with that easily.

    On 1 April 2010, the duty differential for liquefied petroleum gas will be reduced by 1
    penny per litre.


    Now just the possible emergency budget 50 days after the election to dodge.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.