Vantage account query, existing Lloyds a/c holder

Options
Hi, this is my first post :j

My wife currently has a platinum Lloyds current account, which i think she pays £15 monthly for (it has benefits such as AA recovery, travel insurance etc so probably want to keep it)
However we have noted comments here about 4% on several vantage accounts and want to open as many as possible.
Please forgive our newbie-ness, but could someone describe in simple terms (bullet points even) how best to go about this?
Should she convert her current platinum account to a vantage, then open 2 more classic accounts, and convert those to vantage after opening? Or, should she keep her platinum account separate, and try opening 3x classic accounts, later converting all three to vantage accounts?
Trying to work out how her platinum account fits into the picture.
Lastly: Am i right in assuming that I, too, could open 3x classic accounts and then upgrading to vantage, making 6 accounts in total? And are we also allowed to open 3 joint vantage accounts, making 9?
Would that mean that theoretically, we could have 9 vantage accounts all earning about £20 per month on the 7k in each?
I'm also wondering why people refer to "between £15-20 per month" when surely, if its maintained at 7k, it would be the same amount each month from each account? Why the variation?
If anyone manages to reply on all/ some of these points we would both be truly grateful..
thanks in advance

Comments

• scottishblondie
    scottishblondie Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 March 2010 at 12:37PM
    Options
    Hi bbmatic

- To open the accounts you can simply go into a branch and ask to open however many you want. I have heard that they may be limiting you to one a day, but there is nothing to stop you going back on multiple days. They are perfectly aware of how people are using them, so don't be embarassed!
    - Some people have been able to do it online, but a lot have to go into a branch or phone them.
    - You do not have to open them as classic accounts then change to vantage later, you can just open them as Vantage accounts.
    - As to whether or not to convert the Platinum account, I suppose that depends on whether or not you actually want to keep the benefits and keep paying for it. If you change it to a Vantage it will be a free account and the benefits will go.

- You can definitely open 3 each, I don't know about joint ones, however. Open the individual ones first then see about joint ones, or maybe someone who has tried it will be along!

- The reason for the £15-£20 is that not all the month have the same number of days, hence you receive a slightly variable amount each month.

Hope all that answers your questions :)
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    If you change it to a Vantage it will be a free account and the benefits will go.
    Incorrect. Adding Vantage to an existing 'value added' account does not change it at all, other than offering the Vantage interest rate tiers - http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/vantage.asp
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any LTSB current account can be upgraded to vantage
    Vantage can be added to Classic, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Premier accounts.
    and you can do it on line. If you go into branch, be prepared for the sales interview.

See here> http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/Added_value_accounts.asp

http://www.lloydstsb.com/rates_and_charges/current_account_rates_curr_page.asp?WT.ac=CAIRRHN0609

To open more vantage accounts. Bullet points as you requested>

1.Open classic account(s) on line
    2.Upgrade to vantage
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    1.Open classic account(s) on line
    2.Upgrade to vantage
    Two steps are not required, you can simply apply online for 'a Classic Account with Vantage' - http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/classic_and_classic_plus_accounts.asp

See middle of the three 'Apply' links on the above page.
  • scottishblondie
    Options
    My apologies, I assumed he meant to change it to a classic account and then add vantage. You can indeed just add vantage to the platinum account.
  • bbmatic
    bbmatic Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Scottishblondie, Baldur, & Missile - thanks for taking time to reply, really grateful.

Got to think about the Platinum and whether to retain. Ideally, we both will just open three separate Vantage accounts.
    The interest from six accounts would be approaching £120 per month, £1440 annually ...not bad usage of 42k that is currently earning a lot less than that! (unless i've got me maths badly wrong...)
  • bbmatic
    Options
    Lloyds guidance notes make no mention at all of joint vantage accounts -- so i'm guessing they don't offer them.
  • partlydave
    partlydave Posts: 19,646 Forumite
    Options
    bbmatic wrote: »
    Lloyds guidance notes make no mention at all of joint vantage accounts -- so i'm guessing they don't offer them.

This is on the page when you start the application
    Make it a joint account

space.gifIf you want this account to be a joint account simply open the account in your name and then add someone else to the account at your nearest branch. Find out more
    space.gif
    Justice for the 96 YNWA
    Silver linings are the best
    Do not regret growing older, it is a privilege denied to many.
    If I lay here, If I just lay here
    will you lie with me and just forget the world ;)
  • bbmatic
    Options
    Thanks. You can open joint accounts then clearly - but actually i meant, can one open three joint accounts, as well as have three individual accts!

(Almost makes me sound greedy... not that. just fed up of earning zero interest!)
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March 2010 at 2:42PM
    Options
    Baldur wrote: »
    Two steps are not required, you can simply apply online for 'a Classic Account with Vantage' - http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/classic_and_classic_plus_accounts.asp

See middle of the three 'Apply' links on the above page.

The link you reference is for new customers only
    If you’re new to Lloyds TSB

Existing customers get a different screen:A
    Why open another Current Account?

space.gif
    • Help organise your money
      • e.g. you could use it to pay your bills from
    • It's a Classic Account so comes with the following:
      • A debit card
      • Free everyday banking as long as you stay in credit
      • Access to your money 24/7
    • It's easy to apply
    Find out more about the Classic Account
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport