Lloyds Incentive Saver

Options
Have given up waiting for a better account to come along and opened a Lloyds Incentive Saver account paying 3.00% gross. Disappointing, was hoping something would come along paying more, but such is life.

At least if any really good accounts do appear, I can get out of it quickly, even though I would lose a whole month's interest.
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

Comments

• anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    melbury wrote: »
    Have given up waiting for a better account to come along and opened a Lloyds Incentive Saver account paying 3.00% gross. Disappointing, was hoping something would come along paying more, but such is life.

At least if any really good accounts do appear, I can get out of it quickly, even though I would lose a whole month's interest.
    Unlikely to lose a whole month's interest - it is only for the account month in which you make the withdrawal. So that could be a couple of days, say, depending on when you see the rate you want to move to and the time in the account month that you close the Incentive Saver.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Unlikely to lose a whole month's interest - it is only for the account month in which you make the withdrawal. So that could be a couple of days, say, depending on when you see the rate you want to move to and the time in the account month that you close the Incentive Saver.

This is what it says:

"No interest is paid on the full balance for the month in which a withdrawal is made."

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    This is what it says:

"No interest is paid on the full balance for the month in which a withdrawal is made."
    Thought about withdrawing/closing on the 1st of the month?
  • melbury
    Options
    Baldur wrote: »

Good thinking - do you think that would work though?

• partlydave
    partlydave Posts: 19,646 Forumite
    Options
    Baldur wrote: »

I'm sure this account pays interest on the anniversary of opening, so best to close it the day after interest is paid whatever day of the month that is.
    Justice for the 96 YNWA
    Silver linings are the best
    Do not regret growing older, it is a privilege denied to many.
    If I lay here, If I just lay here
    will you lie with me and just forget the world ;)
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Good thinking - do you think that would work though?
    Don't know - you should have a copy of the Terms & Conditions of the account, I don't.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is what it says:

Yes - but if you read the T&C in full rather than one sentence you will see that it defines a month as being the month from the account opening, not a calendar month like 1-30 April.

Given that you were talking about moving your money elsewhere, I assumed you would be closing your account.

So, unless you chose to close your account on the last day of an account month (whenever that would be), you would not lose a full month's interest on the total sum.

You should aim to close the account on the first day of the new month.

If instead of closing the account on the first day of the account month you withdraw all but, say, a nominal £1 on the first day, you would then lose a month's interest on £1.
  • melbury
    Options
    partlydave wrote: »
    I'm sure this account pays interest on the anniversary of opening, so best to close it the day after interest is paid whatever day of the month that is.

Interest is paid monthly, so I just took it that whenever the account was closed they would perhaps just deduct that amount.

• partlydave
    partlydave Posts: 19,646 Forumite
    Options
    Interest is paid monthly, so I just took it that whenever the account was closed they would perhaps just deduct that amount.

I meant to say the monthly anniversary if that is such a thing :)
    Justice for the 96 YNWA
    Silver linings are the best
    Do not regret growing older, it is a privilege denied to many.
    If I lay here, If I just lay here
    will you lie with me and just forget the world ;)
  • vienly
    vienly Posts: 237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I opened my Incentive saver on the 17th Feb and it has been a whole month now with no interested paid into my account. I've made 4 deposits into the account since the 17th so would of expected interest to be paid today (17th March). Hoping it will be there tomorrow, otherwise will have to give them a call to find out what is happening.

I've made no withdrawels at all since opening the account :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport