Claiming for Recorded Delivery lost item

Options
Hi

Does anyone have any advice about how to best fill out a RM claim form for a lost item?

For example, for the Evidence of Value, should I send the ebay page of the item, or would a "proper shop" price be better?
One issue is that the proper shop's price is over the £39 claim limit - so I thought that this might be leaving myself open to a claim by RM of over-insurance i.e. they will say that Special Delivery should have been used, and then knock down my claim by the overinsurance percentage!

Also what protection do I have against the claim form itself going missing? ( I have heard stories about this happening) Obviously I can take photocopies but should I send the claim form by RD too?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,304 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can only claim what you've lost, so if you are a private seller they usually accept a copy of the ebay auction page plus a copy of the paypal account showing the amount of the refund. If you are a business seller then they 'usually' ask for your business invoice to prove cost to you.

Just keep copies of the claim form and all supporting documents and phone then if you haven't heard anything for 3 weeks.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mr-b
    mr-b Posts: 83 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tx - that should keep things simpler.

So out of interest does the principle of over insurance apply? Say in future I sent something worth £50 by RD, the claim limit was £39 and it got lost, if I sent £50 as the value then would I get back £39 x (39/50)?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,304 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mr-b wrote: »
    Tx - that should keep things simpler.

So out of interest does the principle of over insurance apply? Say in future I sent something worth £50 by RD, the claim limit was £39 and it got lost, if I sent £50 as the value then would I get back £39 x (39/50)?

There is still some argument about this. We had a thread about 4 days ago where it seems that RM consider that items over £39 are not covered by standard mail as it is the wrong service. However, other people have said they have been paid out just the £39.

It is almost certainly better though to use the correct postal service to ensure a claim is defintely posisble.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure