Suggestions required.

Options
Hello.

My Mother and her partner are pensioners. They bought their council house a few years ago but last week, they got a problem with their central heating. They got a guy out to look at it, but he won't touch it because the system is so old. He recommended that they should get a complete new system.

He suggested to them a price of around £3000 to do this.

The system needs done and if push comes to shove, my Mother will pay that to get it done, but my brother and I were wondering if there was some kind of grant or funding available to at least meet some of the cost.

Does anyone happen to have any advice or had dealings in this kind of situation?

TIA.

Michael.

Comments

• bokkie7975
    Options
    Take a look here ,
    http://www.eaga.co.uk/Grants%20available/index.htm

hope it helps.
  • Mist001
    Mist001 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. That was helpful to look at. Unfortunately, we live in Scotland, so the England and Wales stuff is different.

But thanks for helping.

Michael.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Mist001 wrote:
    Thank you. That was helpful to look at. Unfortunately, we live in Scotland, so the England and Wales stuff is different.

Age Concern Scotland have a useful factsheet Help with Heating which details possible sources of help. It seems Eagre do have a Central Heating program in Scotland
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • LAXTONSTARLING
    Options
    Could Give Ega A Call On 0800 3166011 Cannot See Why You Cannot Get A Grant To Have New Heating , I Had Central Heating Fitted Free But My Grandmother Was The Home Owner And Was On Income Support, Plus You Cannot Sell House For 3 Years, There Are Grants Avaliable For This If You Qualify.
  • macwise
    macwise Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    The Scottish Executive's Central Heating Programme provides central heating, insulation and advice. Its available to all households in the private sector who lack central heating* and where the householder or partner is aged 60 or over. More info available from Eaga Partnership Ltd on Freephone 0800 316 1653 or click on http://www.eaga.co.uk/Grants/chp.htm
      :cool: There are some conditions listed below:
      You must have been resident at the address of application for a period of 12 months prior to the date of application and intend to occupy the dwelling for a minimum of 12 months from the date on which the works are completed. This must be your main or only residence.
      Your home must be self contained and have no central heating, i.e there must not be heating to 2 or more rooms which are linked to a central boiler, coal fire, or electric off peak tariff.
      OR
      *Your existing central heating system must be completely broken and beyond repair. :j You must agree to the complete package of measures being installed in your home where appropriate and must accept that the final decision on the type of heating to be installed in the property will be made by the Managing Agent, Eaga Partnership.
      Your home must not be subject of any order of resolution, which may lead to it's demolition. You must not have previously claimed a grant at this address under the Central Heating Programme.

I advise family carers on any help they may be entitled to and this information is still current as far as I am aware.

Good Luck!
      :jMacwise

:o"Proper prior planning prevents pathetically poor performance":cool:
    • alynchesq
      Options
      If you live in Scotland the Scottish Executive have a central heating programme to provide everyone in Scotland - over 60, doesn't have a central heating system or whose central =heating system is broken beyond repair, owns their or rents it from a private landlord (not the council or a housing association), with free central heating.
      There is a free phone line for enquiries - 0800 316 1651 - quote MK759
      I have not tried this myself as I do not meet the age criteria - also the letter was dated July this year but I assume you can still benefit from this offer. If the phone is busy try Central Heating Programme, Freepost SCO4421, Edinburgh, EH6 0BR and ask for an application form
    • silvermagic_2
      Options
      Can anyone advise me?
      I am 47, seriously and long term sick. My Benefits amount to £80.15 a week (I have a child living with me) and £20 goes straight to my landlord to top up my Housing Benefit (I have been on the Council waiting list for 7 years buit they have no properties suitable for my needs).

This leaves £60 a week, to pay for electricity, gas, fresh water, sewage, TV licence, phone, food and clothes. Plus. I will need a new wheelchair by July. I have the highest component mobility award of DLA which should finance the wheelchair, but use it for food and warmth.

I will be giving up my phone, TV and internet access, but can't give up water. There is no way I can cope with the increases in energy bills. I have to put the heating on low sometimes so that the pipes don't freeze, but mostly my visitors and I bundle up in blankets. I am just terrified they will cut my gas and electricity off, and I don't know what to do or where to turn. I can't "magic" the money out of thin air, and can't work as I can only sit up for a max of 3 hours a day - on a good day. But those 3 hours aren't consecutive - I have to lie down every 40 min or so.

I no longer have a Care Manager since I said I was shopping online, and my daughter helps me to bath etc.
    • beanielou
      beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
      Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
      Options
      Hi silvermagic
      Have you checked your benefits are correct/that you are getting all you are entitled to? Is there any previous employment that you have had that would mean you could apply for help from any benevelent fund? You should be getting child tax credits as well as your chid benefit.
      What about housing assoc's?
      Good ;luck, hope you can get something sorted out
      I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
      "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
      ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
      One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
    • gravitytolls
      gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
      Options
      There are grants available for heating, insulation etc.,, you should check out your coouncils website for details, as i expect they differ in areas.

But, I believe they're dependent on whether or not they are in receipt of Council Tax Benefit. if so, and they're not receiving any, apply. Even if they're only entitled to a couple of pounds, they'll qualify for other help.
      I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
    • christabell
      christabell Posts: 427 Forumite
      First Anniversary Combo Breaker
      Options
      Hello SilverMagic,
      I don't know if I can be of any help to you except to offer my complete support. Being on long term benefits too I use this site to ensure that I am using the lowest electricity & gas suppliers, plus I use as many Monthly Payment Plans that I can, BT Landline, Gas,Electricity, Water & Sewerage to name a few.
      Are you sure you have applied for all benefits you can? A chat with the CAB may be in order to have a financial check up. You say you may need a new wheelchair, are there any charities that you belong to that can help? e.g. I have ME, as well as joining a National ME Association, we have a county support group who employ a Benefits Adviser, until she reviewed my finances for example I did not know I could claim for Housing Service Charges ( I have a mortgage)
      I use a note book and write down every direct debit, and every cash transaction I make, this is the only way I can manage my money. I understand why you use your DLA Mobility for food, I do too. Do you get DLA care allowance?
      Go to your local council if you can and check about any and all Housing Associations, get your name on every waiting list possible.
      Contact your Social Services, see how they can help you.
      I know I am advising you to phone this agency, check that agency, however it takes a lot of energy to do these things, you can't go under with depression, you have a child to care for.

I wish you the very best of luck in improving your situation.
      Today, my BEST is good enough.
    This discussion has been closed.
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
    • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
    • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 173.1K Life & Family
    • 248K Travel & Transport