Small bathroom quote - any advice, please?!

We've had an estimate for some work to our dinky (less than 2 x 2m) bathroom this morning. It's looking a bit dated, but only the loo and the basin need replacing, as the bath and shower over are absolutely fine. Also we want to remove the radiator and put in a towel radiator in its place. Finally, we'd like to tile over the bath all the way round (one long, two short sides). We're supplying the tiles ourselves, but he's quoted to supply the loo, sink and radiator.

The estimate (not quote) is £1640 +Vat, which is MUCH higher than I expected. Am I being unreasonably tight or is that a sound quote? I've seen a nice sink and loo in B&Q, and a towel radiator at Makro which all three wouldn't come to £300. Should I stop being so pathetic and plumb them in myself, then just find a tiler to do the tiling, or is this the going rate? I'm just outside Nottingham .... if that matters, or anyone wants to put themselves forward to do it at a special rate for me! :rotfl:
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 002 :rotfl:

Comments

• windym_2
    windym_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Fairylights, I would supply everything myself and pay each trade to do their job. They will probably charge you a little more as they are not making any money on the items.

We are converting a barn and sacked our builder in Feb, it was the best thing we ever did. I have gone from being a girly who could just about paint the odd wall :o , to being able to do studwork, plasterboard and general building. :D It's not rocket science, but then I would personally not plumb, touch electrics or plaster.

Arrange the trades yourselves, source the materials online and in Makro etc, then barter like mad. I have just bought kitchen appliances which have dropped about £1800 in 2 weeks, just by being persistent with prices and doing a bit of homework. You may find you enjoy it so much you will start on another project.

Try places like https://www.victoriaplumb.com. https://www.thediscountbathroom.co.uk https://www.plumbworld.co.uk (most of which you can buy through quidco).
  • griff.
    griff. Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fairylights

I couldn't tell you if it's a sound quote... I gave up trying to work out how plumbers estimate these things, but if all items are staying in the same place, then I would say that you would spend about £50 - £60 maximum on the fitting and tools associated with changing the units over. The rest is labour. If you really took your time and worked slowly with 3 tea breaks (make sure you fill up the kettle before you turn off the water supply) you could do the toilet in 3 hours, the sink in 2 hours, and the radiator in 3 hours. This would mean turning off the mains water supply each time, draining the hot water boiler, etc. So you could probably do it all in 3 days, if you wanted the chance to do each item and then allow a testing period to check for water tightness. A plumber of course could probably do it all much more quickly, and not make some of the basic beginner mistakes - and that's what you will be paying for.

Push-fit fittings, and some flexible hoses make this job easily within your reach. If you know your pipe sizes, have a look at https://www.screwfix.com for push-fit fittings in the plumbing section. The part that you need is a wee bit strength in your arms, to do some pipe cutting, both of the water inlet pipes and maybe the waste pipe from the toilet and sink. A good hacksaw, or small pipe cutter is essential. You would also benefit from having someone else there to hold the sink and radiator when you are attaching them to the wall - depending on the type of wall you have, the upright towel radiator can be a real pain to secure properly. But, I would really urge you to give it a go, it's really good experience, it's manageable and it gives a lot of satisfaction, not least in that smug sense of having saved a mini fortune by one's own efforts.
  • Try the website of The Guild of Master Craftsmen https://www.findacraftsman.com where you can find a member in your area. Then phone three and get quotes. Guild members are vetted before being accepted for membership so that at least you have an idea that the person entering your home is qualified to do the jobs you require. Its one way of sorting out the cowboys!
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • There is a space saving ensuite for sale at £179 pounds at http://www.worldofbaths.co.uk/wobsuite/496 , but I noticed that this sale is only on until Friday September 5th. They also sell radiators on there but they look more expensive.
  • Hi
    I would say that the project should be around the £900 to £1000 mark myself if they are supplying the sink and basin and you are supplying the tiles. Get some more quotes.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    how much sqm of tiling

personally thats a resonable price

bathrooms in edinburgh are never less than 1500
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Good evening: This thread is 2 years old.... the OP has it sorted .;)

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Razor
    Razor Posts: 286 Forumite
    :o I started my bathroom 2 years ago, still not sorted:o

Mrs keeps saying shes going to ring me up 4 a quote:D
    Mine needed a new fan so that must be whats wrong with yours:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts