what if probate isnt needed

Options
13»

Comments

• Payless_2
    Payless_2 Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    Options
    Shelldean wrote: »
    At the time it seemed the right thing to do,and we was pleased at how easy it was, esp as both sis and I were suffering due to recent lose.

I totally agree. Wading through wads af paperwork is the last thing you want to do when you've just lost someone close to you. I think I must have been on automatic pilot because I remember so little now.
  • Mrs_Money
    Mrs_Money Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If any monies / property add up to more than £5000 (and there's a will) then Grant of Probate must be applied for by the executors named in the will (download forms from HMRC website) this form must be accompanied by an IHT form to show that the estate is less than the amount for inheritance tax (£325k - I think at the moment). Just about to this for a relative so I am researching as I go!

If the estate is worth more than £5000 and there's no will, next of kin have to apply for Letters of Administration (HMRC again I think) don't know so much about this side of things but if you Google the questions there seems to be masses about it!
  • pendle68
    pendle68 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Mrs_Money wrote: »
    If any monies / property add up to more than £5000 (and there's a will) then Grant of Probate must be applied for by the executors named in the will (download forms from HMRC website) this form must be accompanied by an IHT form to show that the estate is less than the amount for inheritance tax (£325k - I think at the moment). Just about to this for a relative so I am researching as I go!

If the estate is worth more than £5000 and there's no will, next of kin have to apply for Letters of Administration (HMRC again I think) don't know so much about this side of things but if you Google the questions there seems to be masses about it!

hello,
    i wonder if you could help,
    my partner has come in to some money, the person who has did didnt leave a will, the company who is sorting out his estate, wants to charge £140 per hour, it takes 4 months.to obtain probate,
    how does this work?

will it cost a lot/
    can it be cheaper to do your self?

are the heir hunters cheaper?
    please advise?
    thank you
    pendle
    :T
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pendle68 wrote: »
    hello,
    i wonder if you could help,
    my partner has come in to some money, the person who has did didnt leave a will, the company who is sorting out his estate, wants to charge £140 per hour, it takes 4 months.to obtain probate,
    how does this work?

will it cost a lot/
    can it be cheaper to do your self?

are the heir hunters cheaper?
    please advise?
    thank you
    pendle
    :T

Yes it will cost a lot.

Yes it can be cheaper to DIY - if you know what you are doing. With respect, you don't sound to have much of a clue. It may not be possible - it depends on who has appointed this company to do the sorting out.

heir hunters cheaper? I doubt it. But they provide a service that many could not provide for themselves
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try a probate broker, such as http://www.finalduties.co.uk/.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure