Official Prescriptions article discussion

edited 22 August 2012 at 9:07AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
52 replies 47.6K views

Replies

• earnshawearnshaw Forumite
    4 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    anybody know of a cheaper alternative. they`re getting quite expensive but are very effective
  • atypicalatypical Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    atypical wrote: »
    Completing a HC1 form

I meant to also say that if you do complete a HC1 form, whilst you're waiting for it to be accepted or not you can ask for a receipt (form FP57) when paying for scripts. You can only get a receipt at the time of collecting your medicine.

If your application is accepted you can then get a refund of the prescription charge (as long as it is within 3 months). A normal till receipt won't do. You can also do the same if you know that you will be buying a pre-payment certificate later, as long as you back date the certificate to the day you collected your medicine.
    I am approaching 60 next month but still in employment, will I be entitled to free NHS prescriptions then.
    Yes, the day you turn 60 you will be exempt from prescription charges.
    earnshaw wrote: »
    anybody know of a cheaper alternative. they`re getting quite expensive but are very effective
    Boots have their own brand 'Tension Headache Tablets' which are a replica of Syndol. If I remember correctly they aren't much cheaper though (have to wonder what the point is). The formulation of Syndol is quite unique - I've heard a lot of people saying it is very effective.
  • Could anyone tell me what the household income limit is for a HC1 claim?

I successfully claimed at uni many years ago, when I think it was about 15k a year.

I seem to remember how much you were paying in rent was also taken into consideration, but like I say, it was a good few years ago.
    DEBT FREE! Sep '08/£9,800 in Oct '06 :beer:
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could anyone tell me what the household income limit is for a HC1 claim?

I successfully claimed at uni many years ago, when I think it was about 15k a year.

I seem to remember how much you were paying in rent was also taken into consideration, but like I say, it was a good few years ago.

Also - do "savings" affect your entitlement ?
    WTC are not affected by savings - merely income
  • julie777julie777 Forumite
    330 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Have just compared a few sites for hayfever tablets and would recommend Pharmacy First
    Their Loratidine or cetirizine are 80p for a month's supply
    Chlorphenamine 89p for 28 tabs
    Delivery is £2.99 but if you are stocking up for the year I think overall it's pretty cheap.
    PS Hope I have posted this in a suitable place

:rotfl:
  • julie777 wrote: »
    Have just compared a few sites for hayfever tablets and would recommend Pharmacy First
    Their Loratidine or cetirizine are 80p for a month's supply
    Chlorphenamine 89p for 28 tabs
    Delivery is £2.99 but if you are stocking up for the year I think overall it's pretty cheap.
    PS Hope I have posted this in a suitable place

:rotfl:
    cheers ! our family take turns in our hayfever so just stocked up for the year. I start now, then OH , then me again for autumn, then DS for pet visiting! used topcashback for cashback and also discount code i googled (only 50p off for £10) but bargain all round
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just read the updated article.

You totally forgot about the NHS Low Income Scheme.

Filling out an HC1 form can result in an HC2 certificate which means free prescriptions+ full help with NHS costs such as eye tests, glasses vouchers, hospital travel etc.

Or an HC3 which doesn't include free prescriptions and gives you partial help with NHS costs.
  • edited 22 August 2012 at 10:35PM
    zipman23zipman23 Forumite
    291 Posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 22 August 2012 at 10:35PM
    I noticed the 2 blue inhalers for £7 from Asda whilst shopping so decided to buy some. When I had my review with the pharmacist, I was told he couldnt sell me them because I needed to have "full blown asthma" or CPD (?). I only use my inhalers during the hayfever season as the pollen sometimes gives me a very tight chest. Just a heads up for anybody thinking they can easily buy these inhalers!
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • edited 1 December 2013 at 2:12PM
    50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 December 2013 at 2:12PM
    All these "cheap" medications - are you sure that they are genuine and not just coloured chalk dust - or even worse, some unknown drugs ?
    This is a genuine fear......
    Since many are foreign imports.
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am disabled and work 10 hours per week - we are on a low income (around £15k pa but have considerable savings) - hence are not entitled to free prescriptions) had we been earning more (to give me at least 16 hours) - we would have been entitled to WTC - which would have given us free prescriptions and also savings are not taken into account
    The whole system needs a radical overhaul !!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides