Official Prescriptions article discussion

edited 22 August 2012 at 9:07AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
52 replies 47.6K views

Replies

• earnshawearnshaw Forumite
    4 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    anybody know of a cheaper alternative. they`re getting quite expensive but are very effective
  • atypicalatypical Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    atypical wrote: »
    Completing a HC1 form

I meant to also say that if you do complete a HC1 form, whilst you're waiting for it to be accepted or not you can ask for a receipt (form FP57) when paying for scripts. You can only get a receipt at the time of collecting your medicine.

If your application is accepted you can then get a refund of the prescription charge (as long as it is within 3 months). A normal till receipt won't do. You can also do the same if you know that you will be buying a pre-payment certificate later, as long as you back date the certificate to the day you collected your medicine.
    I am approaching 60 next month but still in employment, will I be entitled to free NHS prescriptions then.
    Yes, the day you turn 60 you will be exempt from prescription charges.
    earnshaw wrote: »
    anybody know of a cheaper alternative. they`re getting quite expensive but are very effective
    Boots have their own brand 'Tension Headache Tablets' which are a replica of Syndol. If I remember correctly they aren't much cheaper though (have to wonder what the point is). The formulation of Syndol is quite unique - I've heard a lot of people saying it is very effective.
  • Could anyone tell me what the household income limit is for a HC1 claim?

I successfully claimed at uni many years ago, when I think it was about 15k a year.

I seem to remember how much you were paying in rent was also taken into consideration, but like I say, it was a good few years ago.
    DEBT FREE! Sep '08/£9,800 in Oct '06 :beer:
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could anyone tell me what the household income limit is for a HC1 claim?

I successfully claimed at uni many years ago, when I think it was about 15k a year.

I seem to remember how much you were paying in rent was also taken into consideration, but like I say, it was a good few years ago.

Also - do "savings" affect your entitlement ?
    WTC are not affected by savings - merely income
  • julie777julie777 Forumite
    330 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Have just compared a few sites for hayfever tablets and would recommend Pharmacy First
    Their Loratidine or cetirizine are 80p for a month's supply
    Chlorphenamine 89p for 28 tabs
    Delivery is £2.99 but if you are stocking up for the year I think overall it's pretty cheap.
    PS Hope I have posted this in a suitable place

:rotfl:
  • julie777 wrote: »
    Have just compared a few sites for hayfever tablets and would recommend Pharmacy First
    Their Loratidine or cetirizine are 80p for a month's supply
    Chlorphenamine 89p for 28 tabs
    Delivery is £2.99 but if you are stocking up for the year I think overall it's pretty cheap.
    PS Hope I have posted this in a suitable place

:rotfl:
    cheers ! our family take turns in our hayfever so just stocked up for the year. I start now, then OH , then me again for autumn, then DS for pet visiting! used topcashback for cashback and also discount code i googled (only 50p off for £10) but bargain all round
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just read the updated article.

You totally forgot about the NHS Low Income Scheme.

Filling out an HC1 form can result in an HC2 certificate which means free prescriptions+ full help with NHS costs such as eye tests, glasses vouchers, hospital travel etc.

Or an HC3 which doesn't include free prescriptions and gives you partial help with NHS costs.
  • edited 22 August 2012 at 10:35PM
    zipman23zipman23 Forumite
    291 Posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 22 August 2012 at 10:35PM
    I noticed the 2 blue inhalers for £7 from Asda whilst shopping so decided to buy some. When I had my review with the pharmacist, I was told he couldnt sell me them because I needed to have "full blown asthma" or CPD (?). I only use my inhalers during the hayfever season as the pollen sometimes gives me a very tight chest. Just a heads up for anybody thinking they can easily buy these inhalers!
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • edited 1 December 2013 at 2:12PM
    50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 December 2013 at 2:12PM
    All these "cheap" medications - are you sure that they are genuine and not just coloured chalk dust - or even worse, some unknown drugs ?
    This is a genuine fear......
    Since many are foreign imports.
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am disabled and work 10 hours per week - we are on a low income (around £15k pa but have considerable savings) - hence are not entitled to free prescriptions) had we been earning more (to give me at least 16 hours) - we would have been entitled to WTC - which would have given us free prescriptions and also savings are not taken into account
    The whole system needs a radical overhaul !!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News