🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Barclaycard statement question

Options
Hello, first time posting.

I have recently received my first credit card and just over a week ago I purchased something for £24.99.

I then returned it for a refund a few days later, during which I received my first paper statement saying balance £25.19 (20p for payment protection) and £5 minimum payment for August 14th.

I checked my barclaycard account online a few days later and my balance is now 20p with no minimum payment required for August 14th. So obviously the refund was now complete.

Now as stupid as it sounds, I just wanted to double check that I do not have to pay anything back on the statement, or should I pay the £25.19 and follow my paper statement??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldudecol
    cooldudecol Posts: 784 Forumite
    Options
    You shouldn't need to pay anything, as the refund would count towards your £5 minimum payment.

But you could always phone Barclaycard to double check.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you really need payment protection for small amounts owing like this?
  • Wormwood_Scrubs
    Options
    thanks cooldudecol.

the payment protection automatically comes off 79p for every hundred i spend. its fine by me incase i ever become redundant etc. plus i will be using the card to hire a car in the usa soon and other purchases.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,105 Forumite
    Options
    Scrubs

Wrong card for hiring a car in the USA - with respect. It will cost you 2.75% more than some others eg Nationwide BS.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Options
    You are paying through the nose for this 'insurance'.
    Look at getting income protection policy.
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    Just to clarify... a refund does not count as a payment towards your minimum payment - been too many threads on here with people getting charges as they thought it diid.

In the OPs case however as it reduces the balance to effectively zero then there should be no minimum to pay - though confirming that by phone or by making a screen print from online where it states no payment required would be sensible
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family