is it ok to use several 1st class postage stamps on a parcel?

Options
THANKS FOR READING.

I have lots of 1st class stamps and just wonder if it is ok to keep using them to send my ebay parcels? I have hundreds and might as well use them if I can.

also does anyone have a price list for sending parcels? I always just pile loads of stamps on and know Im putting far to much postage on. I have looked online - but the lists I've been looking at is telling me basically that its cheaper to post an item to germany than it is here.

also to send eg. an item of baby clothes or ladies jeans, is it classed as a packet, parcel etc

thank you for reading and for any advice you may have :beer:

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it is fine to use stamps, but never guess postage. There is an easy quck calculate thingy here:

http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinder;jsessionid=RTQOHQJCGXXHAFB2IGLENZQ;jsessionid=RTQOHQJCGXXHAFB2IGLENZQ?catId=23500532&gear=pricingcalc

Also please remember that if you just post your stuff in a normal post box you get no proof of postage in case you end up with a lost parcel and have to refund the buyer,
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • df03
    df03 Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for that soolin, :beer:
  • Giggles_Fairy
    Giggles_Fairy Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Options
    I weigh my items and use this webpage to calculate the postage
    ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/50200_RM_Tariff_2009_Poster_A3_ENG.pdf

On ebay you can buy the templates they use in the post office. You knwo where they hold the letter up and can see whther its a large letter or parcel. It could be worth you investing in one of these, I think they are only a few pounds.
  • flipper_2010
    Options
    I weigh my items and use this webpage to calculate the postage
    ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/50200_RM_Tariff_2009_Poster_A3_ENG.pdf

On ebay you can buy the templates they use in the post office. You knwo where they hold the letter up and can see whther its a large letter or parcel. It could be worth you investing in one of these, I think they are only a few pounds.

I got one of the template things for free from royal mail when they did a price hike before, came in a mail sack too so got that for free as well :T
  • Aputsiaq
    Aputsiaq Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Yes it is fine to use stamps, but never guess postage. There is an easy quck calculate thingy here:

http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinder;jsessionid=RTQOHQJCGXXHAFB2IGLENZQ;jsessionid=RTQOHQJCGXXHAFB2IGLENZQ?catId=23500532&gear=pricingcalc

Also please remember that if you just post your stuff in a normal post box you get no proof of postage in case you end up with a lost parcel and have to refund the buyer,
    Proof of postage doesn't mean anything anyway.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Aputsiaq wrote: »

For Paypal it doesn't mean anything, but if the item goes for a walk in the postal system it's a means of saying you did post the item and so it means that hopefully royal mail will give you a cheque to cover the amount the item cost.
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aputsiaq wrote: »
    Yes it does it covers you for a Loss up to £39 with royal mail
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Putting several stamps on for 1st class always concerns me. Unless postmen waste their time adding it all up I suspect it is assumed to be 2nd class.
  • flipper_2010
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Putting several stamps on for 1st class always concerns me. Unless postmen waste their time adding it all up I suspect it is assumed to be 2nd class.

I only put on enough first class stamps to add up to 2nd class postage and just write 2nd underneath if I want it to go 2nd
  • amy_love
    amy_love Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to be really moneysaving, say it's £1.40 put 3 x 1st class stamps and make up the last bit with odd amount stamps from the post office. Might be worth getting a few in amounts you usually use.

And I would certainly write 1st class in large letters (and possibly the amount you worked out you needed to pay) so that they can just check it and they know you know what you are doing, if that makes sense.
    Student Moneysaver going to Paris next year! Trying to save!

Engaged to be civilly partnered 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport