What am I entitled to?

Hi everyone,
I am needing some help with regards to benefits, more so what am I entitled to be claiming for?. The story so far:
I injured my back at work in march 04, and have been off sick since then, in November I went for a private medical to assess whats really wrong with my back (The diagnosis I have had from my Doctor before this is, its muscle strain,torn muscles in your back,to sciatica, I have had physiotherapy as well which made the problem worse) I have since found out from the medical that I have a prolapsed disc, which will require surgery, after which I will not be able to lift anything heavy for the rest of my life. My company has been paying me a normal basic wage since I got injured (no overtime), and I think that they now want to sack me as I wont be able to do my old job again. I have`nt claimed for anything in nearly 20 years and would like to know whats going to be available to me when I finally get the push.

I am sorry this is a bit of a long story but I need to disclose all the facts surrounding this, thanks for any input.

Comments

• Nessiehunter

Are you in the Union?,I can give you my mates experience if it would help,he was employed by the polis for 20 years[civilian] he got 1 years full pay and then 6 months half pay.

He was pensioned off as he couldn`t do his job,you will get incapacity benefit,you will have to apply for Disability Living Allowance which opens up a whole new list of things you may get,if you are in the Union they will keep you right,if your not go to a C.A.B. office or Welfare rights office.
    Good luck m8
    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
  • Details for claiming Incapacity Benefit here but this will only apply after your employer has ceased paying statutory sick pay and while you are "Incapable of work" How the DWP assess your capacity for work is detailed in the booklet A guide to the personal capability assessment
    To find out if you think you will meet this threshold you can try the calculator here

PCA Threshold calculator

You may have heard mutterings from T Bliar about plans for IB if not you can read the details at BenefitsandWork Incapacity Benefit information The idea that you may be set for a life comfortably featherbedded on generous welfare benefit handouts may not be quite as the right wing press would have you believe.

If you need help with personal care for your intimate bodily care needs or you have problems with getting around then Disability Living Allowance may be appropriate. Claiming details here DWP Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    with a useful BenefitsandWork DLA Claim guide. If you are new to claiming DWP benefits then using a Welfare Rights organisation to help you is a good idea. You can find a list in the Benefits and Work guide to Getting Help with your Benefits
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Thanks for all the help, I am in the Union and will ask them for some additional info, Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure