mobile broadband ip address

just wondering when you use mobile broadband what sort of ip address are you assigned?

and what about if you change the sim card, does this change the ip address, or is it the dongle that affects the ip address?

thanks a lot for any replies

Comments

• Darksun
    Darksun Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Yes, changing the sim will change the IP address. Generally speaking, sims won't be set up with a static IP address, so every time a new connection is made to the network the IP address will be assigned from the pool.
  • want2bmortgage3
    want2bmortgage3 Posts: 1,966 Forumite
    thanks for that, out of interest i found a website that told me my ip address. as soon as i disconnected and reconnected to my mobile broadband connection, the ip address had changed!

another question, does anyone know the cheapest way to unlock a usb modem??
  • Darksun, what would you say are the advantages/disadvantages of not having a fixed IP address? I have only mobile BB at home now, and am wondering if this will cause any problems.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• elvch01
    elvch01 Posts: 341 Forumite
    The only reason you might need a fixed IP is if you are providing email services i.e. you have mail server software and manage your own email domains etc. A Dynamic DNS service will help provide a consistent name mapping to your dynamically assigned IP addess for just about every other type of service, but I have had occasions where remote mail servers would not accept mail from my mail server simply because it was from an IP address in a known dynamically assigned range. Even this can be bypassed using a trusted mail relay

So there is to all intents and purposes, there is no advantage in a static IP address, just a few extra config/admin tasks if (and only if) you are hosting you own web, mail and/or proxy servers etc - which is unlikely over a BB connection
    Chris Elvin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport