First Joint Account

I was wondering if anybody could recommend a current account for my partner and i?

This will be our first joint account as we are looking to buy a house together. It will be purely for bills as we intend to keep our own accounts for pocket money.

She currently has a very basic HSBC Account and i have just transferred to First Direct for my 'bills and DD' account, I have a Nationwide Flex Account for my pocket money, as i travel abroad with work a lot and i have 3x Halifax Reward Accounts for the £5's.

Many thanks.
Mortgage
May 2014 - £255,000.00
Jan 2015 - £251.589.00
O/P To Date £194.04

Comments

• My partner and I have just done the same thing. We are both with natwest and have opened a 'Step' account. This gives us both cards, we will transfer money monthly from our own accounts which have our salaries paid in to. There is no overdraft facility.

We have been happy with natwest while I had loads of problems with HSBC but that's a personal thing.

I'm sure you will be able to get a similar HSBC account. What I liked about staying with Natwest, is that I could see all my accounts together and simply transfer money between accounts.
    A big thank you to everyone who contibutes to the MSE forums :T
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Why not use one of the Halifax accounts?

There seems little point in opening a new account when you have three perfectly good ones just sitting there.
  • GregH
    GregH Posts: 79 Forumite
    Many thanks for your responses!
    Mortgage
    May 2014 - £255,000.00
    Jan 2015 - £251.589.00
    O/P To Date £194.04
  • JA1000
    JA1000 Posts: 620 Forumite
    I tried the same for nationwide, got offered an cashpoint account not debit card, absolutely stupid as we don't want an overdraft this is for bills, amount going in would have been signifcant. Just think they are extra tight on checking but checking what. Avoid.
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    bubblybee wrote: »
    I'm sure you will be able to get a similar HSBC account. What I liked about staying with Natwest, is that I could see all my accounts together and simply transfer money between accounts.

The only similar HSBC account is 1st Direct - HSBC are unique and one of the better banks remember! The rest, RBS etc are diabolical and their online systems and card functionability leave a lot to be desired....

However personal rant over against RBS, HSBC also allows you to see all accounts on one screen with easy formats of functions and allows you to transfer between accounts etc at the click of a mouse and it is instant. HSBC also shows pending transactions, no other bank does this (including 1st Direct)...

Personally, i'd be saying to the OP to move to a joint HSBC and avoid Natpest like the plague if not, give it a few months and they'll see why I say this ;););)
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family