Monsoon in Malaysia and India?

Options
Hi guys,

i was due to book my honeymoon for june 2010, but i have been told by an agent at trailfinders that this is not a good idea as its monsoon season.

I have rung many agents and this guy at trailfinders is the first to mention this.

what should i do..? is this true?

Comments

• iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    hometime wrote: »
    Hi guys,

i was due to book my honeymoon for june 2010, but i have been told by an agent at trailfinders that this is not a good idea as its monsoon season.

I have rung many agents and this guy at trailfinders is the first to mention this.

what should i do..? is this true?

Have you heard of Google?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=when+is+the+mon...a+and+india%3F
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    You should Google 'weather Malaysia' and 'weather India' and decide for yourself; not all areas of a country will be affected by a monsoon at any given time.
  • Bananabelly
    Options
    This information is also on www.lonelyplanet.com under the relevant countries
  • Mr_Lahey
    Mr_Lahey Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Options
    Monsoon is not always what you think.
    I spent 2 months in China and SE Asia (inc Malaysia) during July and August and had 2 rainy days. Japan was a different story and the storms were horrendous.
    Even so, generally when it does rain it rains only for an hour or so and then the sun comes back out.
    People argue that Monsoon season is the best time to visit SE Asia for numerous reasons - At no other time of year is the countryside more beautiful.

Your TA should not be advising against going and i would book it and look forward to it. Ill be back in SE Asia in June - Sept, not put off at all.
    The Summer Holiday of a Lifetime
  • Rosie75
    Rosie75 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also depends where in India you are going. Some areas (eg. Calcutta) are much more affected by the monsoon than others (eg. Rajasthan). In addition, bear in mind that some hotels in touristy areas (eg. Goa) or national parks (if you are interested in seeing tigers) will close during monsoon season - in the case of the latter it's because some of the roads can become unpassable. The intensity of the monsoon can also vary significantly from year-to-year, and many people say that the rains have not been as heavy in recent years.
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund #14: £9000 / £10,000
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I grew up in Malaysia and can say that the monsoon is probably one of the best times to visit!!! Everything is so green and if you're near a beach there's nothing like prancing around in you cossies (or as I used to do - undies - LOL) under a warm shower - and it is really warm rain - nothing like here

I remember my mum regularly pinning up the contents of my Dad's wallet when he had to slog back on foot as it is more of a drenching than a shower and it only ever used to last a couple of hours in the late afternoon/early evening
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure