Ideal boiler fault

Options
Hi, my boiler's started making strange noises, like a washing machine taking in water. Checked the dial that had I think error code H 4, I switched it off quite sharply. Looking in the book it says Dry Fire Thermistor Error. It also asks can the fault condition be reset by switching off the mains supply to the boiler.
I was going to try swithching the mains back on to it but there's some water coming out of the front of the boiler.
Should I try switching it back on & resetting it or call an engineer?
Thank you

Comments

• iamcornholio
    Options
    If it was just a fault code, then you could try resetting and turn it back on, but if you have a leak from the boiler, then call an engineer if you are not experienced in this work. Also turn off the water supply to the boiler if this is what is leaking

Common thing with these boilers is a leak from further up the boiler can get into the electronic controller and blow the board - leaving you with two faults and a very expensive bill if the board blows
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you, now to sound really stupid, how do I switch the water off to the boiler?
  • iamcornholio
    Options
    If there is a valve on the incomming water supply ( ie the one from the cold water pipes which feed the boiler to give you hot water to the taps) then you can turn that off to remove the pressure from the supply circuit.

Your leak may be fom other parts of the system though, in which case this may not help.

If you post the model, then you may get more specific help
  • hermum
    Options
    Hi It's an Isar HE24. I think or maybe hoping that when Warmfront installed it they said there was a 2 year warranty on it. It didn't last a week after being put in before it needed new Pcb, diverter & valves.
    I can't find anything to switch the water off to the boiler.
  • iamcornholio
    Options
    There may not be a valve on the supply, it depends how it was installed. The leak may stop once everything os switched off?

If not under warranty, consider one of the call out options from BG or similar which charge a fixed fee no matter what is wrong.

The ISAR is definately one of the boilers which may prompt you to take out something like BG's Homeserve repair contract - about £10 per month to fix unlimited breakdowns. You'll certainly get your moneys worth!
  • hermum
    Options
    Hi, thank you if it's not under warranty it won't be fixed, will just get someone out to stop the water coming out. Unfortunately I don't have £10 a month to pay on insurance, will boil water on the stove.
  • hermum
    Options
    It's under warranty until September so someone's coming out tomorrow
    Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income