reassurance needed

Options
Ive finally decided to try nd claim back some of the ppi I have paid, but dont want the compnies to laugh at me. So please you kind people reassure me that you can claim by citing the reason that my job was secure (NHS at tht time did not make p eople redundnt, still dont really) and that I get 12 month sick pay from work, so didnt need to take it out in case I was ill - that part was never discussed. Plus it was on top of my loan so was paying interest on it.

My loan was paid off last year and another is due to be paid off in April, so can I claim for these. Also just discovered im paying insurance on my Doorthy Perkins store card, I just ticked the box when I applied about 7 years ago and nothing was discussed by the sales clerk - or will they think its just a cop out.

Michelle

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    michelle45 wrote: »
    Ive finally decided to try nd claim back some of the ppi I have paid, but dont want the compnies to laugh at me. So please you kind people reassure me that you can claim by citing the reason that my job was secure (NHS at tht time did not make p eople redundnt, still dont really) and that I get 12 month sick pay from work, so didnt need to take it out in case I was ill - that part was never discussed. Plus it was on top of my loan so was paying interest on it.

My loan was paid off last year and another is due to be paid off in April, so can I claim for these. Also just discovered im paying insurance on my Doorthy Perkins store card, I just ticked the box when I applied about 7 years ago and nothing was discussed by the sales clerk - or will they think its just a cop out.

Michelle

Hi Michelle

Yes go for it, obviously they did not check with you that you already had protection in place with your employment, so worth giving it a shot on whatever you have insurance with, you can reclaim on loan ppi, credit card ppi, store card ppi, car finance ppi, catalogues and so on.

So for your reason as it was worthless to you, give it a go.

Keep at them if they do not resolve in your favour by 8 full weeks then you may be able to go to the Financial ombudsman service (FOS), they should confirm this on the final letter if you can do this.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

You actually write to the ones who set up the finance from the start.

Good luck and keep at them, please keep us posted and ask for help whenever.;)

Di
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So please you kind people reassure me that you can claim by citing the reason that my job was secure (NHS at tht time did not make p eople redundnt, still dont really)

Not a good enough reason. NHS do make people redundant and its not just redundancy you are looking at but also sickness and accident.
    and that I get 12 month sick pay from work

You dont get 100% for 12 months though. So, again, not good enough.
    Plus it was on top of my loan so was paying interest on it.

Some scope there.
    Also just discovered im paying insurance on my Doorthy Perkins store card, I just ticked the box when I applied about 7 years ago and nothing was discussed by the sales clerk - or will they think its just a cop out.

Its just a copy out as you ticked the box.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • madelinex
    Options
    I don't think its a cop out. Obviously, the cover which was being sold to you at the time was not discussed. You should have been able to discuss your employment situation and the seller could then have explained the benefits (if any) to you and then you could have made an informed decision.

Recently I managed to achieve a repayment on behalf of a friend for ppi on a storecard. She had ticked the box but recalls that she had been instructed to 'just tick that box - it means you can get the card". :mad:

I pointed out to the company - Ikano - that my friend had been put under pressure at the point of signing the agreement. I voiced my concerns that their salespeople were not properly trained to be selling insurance.

Tick, schmick is what I say and I recommend you go for it.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Recently I managed to achieve a repayment on behalf of a friend for ppi on a storecard. She had ticked the box but recalls that she had been instructed to 'just tick that box - it means you can get the card". :mad:

This is a mis-sale. The OP says nothing was said about it and she ticked it. That is not a mis-sale.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • finatra26
    finatra26 Posts: 4,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Michelle - I cited the same (NHS) reason as one of my reasons & won. My claim handler said the PPi would have been pointless as it would not have paid out as I would still have been earning for a year. I did have other reasons though
    HTH
  • madelinex
    madelinex Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I think the main point is that if the insurance that was being sold to you had in any way been explained to you, you would probably not have agreed to it and perhaps on that basis it is worth a letter or two requesting reimbursement. Let us know how you get on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure