SMP/MA Payments

Options
Hi,

Hope someone can help us. My wife and myself were partners in a business, up until we had to close due to a poor payers in January. My wife use to do the books etc one day a week and we paid her £50 a week. We had our second boy on November 17th, we were planning on becoming a Ltd in November and and was going to see if we could claim SMP for my wife, as things happened new baby was a little ill in his first month nothing serious but a few trips to the hospital etc. This on top of major staff issues and bad payers we never got round to sorting any SMP out or infact any wages after the baby was born.

Anyway i got a job when we closed the business, but my wife can't work as we have a 2 year old and 4 month old. She is up to date with her NI and tax.

So will filled all the forms in for tax credits and MA, got a letter in the post asking a MATB1 form for the MA got that sent it, then on Saturday got a letter saying our claim had been denied as we hadn't proved my wife was pregant 11 weeks before the due date!! Question we would like answering is are we going to be entitled to any SMP or MA?

Thanks

NR

Comments

• stazi
    stazi Posts: 1,295 Forumite
    Options
    The MatB1 is the proof that JCP need. I suggest you ring them & tell them you sent it. If it's lost, you may need a letter from your GP/Midwife- you cannot get duplicate MatB1's.

From what you have said, your wife may be entitled to MA. SMP would only be payable to an 'employee' of the business, provided the relevant conditions were met. You have said she only earned £50pw- so the conditions we not met.

If your wife claimed MA after the baby was born, she may lose some weeks MA because of late claim rules.
  • NorthernRed
    NorthernRed Posts: 40 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2010 at 7:47PM
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply, going to ring in the morning hopefully its just a matter that they haven't received the Matb1 form we only sent it on Monday and the letter we got was dated thursday. Hopefully we can get some type of payment as my wife is unemployed now as our company has ceased trading, we are not to concened about getting the whole 39 weeks, we just need it to start from now as we are trying to sort our budget now with the new job and baby etc. Are we right in thinking we should be entilted to some sort of payment or not?

Thanks

NR
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family