Changes to Direct Debit

Options
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is in the right place but.... We received our Gas and Electricity bill for the quarter yesterday with a note saying that they were changing our DD from 48 for Gas & 33 for Electric to £18 & £15 respectively as we've been in credit with them for the last 2 quarters... can I ask them not to do this as if they do we will end up owing them money and it's like they are forcing us in to debt with them..

Thanks WB1
:hello:
Loan 1: £8300 -
Loan 2: £20,000 (joint) Total Debt: £28,300:eek:
DFD: June 2014 :(

Comments

• Fairzo
    Fairzo Posts: 383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sure you can ask them to leave the DDs as they are but the company should be determining how much needs to be paid to ensure that the account balances over the year.

Are you significantly in credit as this will affect how much you need to pay monthly to balance the account? Which company is it?
  • nsdlil
    nsdlil Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear Forum ,
    Actually I believe that you are entitled to ask them to set your DD on the basis of a 12 month period rather than the last 6 (which depending on the time of year entirely negates the purpose of monthly DDs to average out the annual costs) . Npower wanted to make a large INCREASE to my DD based on the just completed winter months , but backed off when I rang them to remind them that with my annual discount due there was little justification for an increase .
  • wannaberich1
    Options
    Hi Both,

We are with EDF energy for both, we are only about £30 in credit for both after our last bill. it just seems that they want to reduce the DD's by so much so that we owe them money instead of being in credit.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.
    :hello:
    Loan 1: £8300 -
    Loan 2: £20,000 (joint) Total Debt: £28,300:eek:
    DFD: June 2014 :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business