I've no contract after 5 months of work!....

Been with my current employer 5 months now, I have no contract of employment as yet (rather late isn't it??) what are the legal implications for this? for me and the Company.

Does this mean they can get rid of me without notice and does this mean I can leave without notice?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've very very very rarely ever seen a contract of employment in my hand in all my years of working ... and I've had a lot of jobs in all sorts of companies, in several towns and regions over the years. I think I'd get scared if I ever did see one as it'd all be a lot more formal than I'd been used to.

They can get rid of you without notice up to a year anyway.
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    You do have a contract of employment, its just not in writing. The fact that you turn up for work, are given work and are paid constitutes a contract. However, your employer is obliged to provide written terms and conditions within 8 weeks of starting. Failure to do so means you can take him to an ET ultimately. You need to formally request your written terms.
    In the absence of written terms, the statutory rules apply and these are on the ACAS website.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • ableandy
    ableandy Posts: 265 Forumite
    An employment contract exists as soon as an employee starts work.
    An employment contract is enforceable by law.
    It can be a verbal agreement and doesn’t have to be written down.
    If the contract is a verbal one, the employee is entitled to a written statement setting out the main elements of the job
    An employee is entitled the written statement within two months of their start date.

What is included in a written statement
    • The legal company name of the employer.
    • The legal name of the employee.
    • The date the current employment began.
    • The employee’s pay, or how it is calculated, and whether it is paid weekly or monthly.
    • The employee’s hours of work.
    • The employee’s holiday entitlement and holiday pay.
    • Job title or a brief description of the work.
    • The address of the employee’s place of work.
    • Terms and conditions relating to sickness, injury and sick pay.
    • The period of employment – permanent, temporary, fixed term.
    • Notice periods.
    • Collective agreements with trade unions.
    • The employee’s pension entitlement
    • Dismissal, disciplinary and grievance procedures.
    :jI am an Employment Law Paralegal and an experienced Human Resources Manager and offer my guidance as simply that ... guidance :j
  • Ive had none of the above since starting. I have spoken to my line manager who says the reason for the delay is that they are currently working out whether to include BH as part of my annual leave.

Doesn't sound right to me. Every job I've had I've been given a contract before I start, to sign and return. But hey ho.
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    That represents no reason not to produce written T & C's. In terms of annual leave what were you told at your interview/what was included in your offer letter? You are entitled to a minimum of 28 days (which may include BH's).
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • willsonline
    willsonline Posts: 164 Forumite
    I have never had an "offer letter" just told via email that I was successful and to start on such a such date. No induction nothing. I do however get paid which is the main thing lol. Was not told about annual leave at interview.
  • Uncertain
    Uncertain Posts: 3,901 Forumite

They can get rid of you without notice up to a year anyway.

No they can't!!!

Except in the case of gross misconduct (regardless of length of service) they have to give you whatever period of notice your contract (written or otherwise) states. If there are no details (or clear customs in the firm) then the legal minimum applies.

With less than a years service you cannot (in most circumstances) bring a claim for unfair dismissal but you can still claim for the correct notice pay etc if it is not paid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure