Confused!

Options
I've just been trying to renew my house and contents insurance and have found out that when previously I had selected 'pre 1850' for the age of my home (as it was the only option available on line) , although built in approx 1650, that my insurance has probably been invalid for the last year!

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there a question thats missing
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wizbub wrote: »
    I've just been trying to renew my house and contents insurance and have found out that when previously I had selected 'pre 1850' for the age of my home (as it was the only option available on line) , although built in approx 1650, that my insurance has probably been invalid for the last year!

This is not exactly true. If you speak to senior people at the Insurance company they are fully aware that their internet sites will allow business to be underwritten, which they would not have accepted had you phoned them. If the internet site did not contain any criteria information or means to declare the age of property, then you would have been fully covered. Of course when the policy became due for renewal this would have given the Insurers the opportunity to review the risk.

Insurers save quite a lot of money taking business by the Internet and therefore they are willing to accept the additional risk that comes with this. But of course this would not have stopped potential hassle if you had needed to claim.

My personal advice is that if you have had any claims, need to cover specific items or reside in an older or non standard construction property, that you should not use the internet to arrange cover. To be on the safe side, arrange cover with Insurers direct by phone or use a local broker.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure