Talk Talk moving home practicalities

Yorkie1
Yorkie1 Posts: 11,552 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Exchange and completion all going well, I shall be moving house in a couple of weeks.

The house I'm currently renting, and the house I'm buying, both have TalkTalk landline and broadband.

I may well be making a mountain out of a molehill but I can't quite get my head round the practicalities of the move; hope someone can help out.

The purchase of house A should be completed on the 11th March and the seller will be moving out on that day.

I will not be moving out of house B until the following week, so there will be an overlap. Obviously I don't want to lose a connection and thus have to pay a reconnection fee.

What is the best way of organising this?

Do I end up with two contracts in place simultaneously (i.e. start a new one and then terminate my existing one), or is my existing contract simply transferred across on a given day? That would leave me either with a vacant period at the new property, or without a phone at the existing house, for the period between completion and move.

Also, I am on an old plan, which allows me free calls to European landlines, and I don't want to lose those T&C's.

On the question of phone numbers:
a) is it possible to transfer my existing number across or is that something TT don't offer? I'm moving about 5 streets away on the same local exchange.
b) would I inherit the existing number at the new place, or be allocated a completely new number from scratch?

Thanks for any comments - once I get my head round the details I can relax!

Comments

• ankspon
    ankspon Posts: 2,371 Forumite
    You can't keep the same number with talktalk you will be issued with a new one.I was on the same tariff as you and i had to sign a new 18 month contract and lose the free european calls.Also you will find you won't be connected when you move and may wait upto 5 weeks to do so and if you manage your account online then it will all be messed up.There are loads of people having trouble at the moment,they cannot see there current accounts,they are being paper billed and charged for it even though they are registered for online billing.Take a look at the talktalk forum and see for your self and GOOD LUCK,you'll need it.

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/index.php
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    David that is very helpful, many thanks.

I had intended to find my way over to the forums and you've kindly given me the link too.

Perhaps it's worth considering whether to remain with TT if I'm going to lose the perks - perhaps look at a combined package like Sky etc.

I guess they'll sting me for stopping my existing contract when I move, even though they insist that I take out a new contract in the new place. You get done over both ways.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I kept my number when I was with Ontel with CPS and BT line rental 3 years ago. It didnt cost me a penny, BT who I was paying line rental did it for us, I just told onetel (Talk talk) my new address for billing etc

Mind you BT messed up and for a couple of days didnt have any phone and then broadband didnt work for 2 weeks either
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Talk Talk are unable to move your existing number to a new address even if its in the same exchange area.

SEE: http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25173

BT can normally move your existing number if your moving within the same exchange area.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I forgot to say it was the same exchange I was using
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business