What can I do?? Help!

Hi all

I was forced to leave my full-time uni course(in my second year) at the end of November 09 as my daughter was put in hospital with serious mental health issues. At the time I left I was unable to contact my tutors due to them being unavailable and me being very busy and stressed, so not alot of communication in the beginning. I found the tutors very unapproachable and unsympathetic and was eventually removed from the course due to absence. I would like to go back this September but have been told that I am no longer eligible for finance as I have left a course.

I am very keen to complete my degree and understand why I was removed from the course. Could I go back to another course at another University and pick up where I left off at the start of the new term this year??? Or have I cocked things up and will have to fund my own studies? Confused. I am a mature student.

Any help or feedback really appreciated!!

Dido
I'm not a "SINGLE" mum, I'm a "DOUBLE" mum!:D

Comments

• Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Who told you you'd be ineligible?
  • djdido2
    djdido2 Posts: 3,446 Forumite
    I had a message through one of the other students from my tutor. Asked could I put my studies on hold until I was able to return and was told no I couldn't???. I should really have found the time to see where I stand but things have been so hectic.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I thought (in general) that tutors didn't know much / anything about finance?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Sounds like a load of cobblers until you hear it from the tutors directly. Contact the student welfare office at the university.
    Current debt: M&S £0(£2K) , Tesco £0 (£1.5K), Car loan 6K (paid off!) Barclaycard £1.5K (interest free for 18 months)
  • djdido2
    djdido2 Posts: 3,446 Forumite
    I have already spoken to a Student Welfare Officer but she wanted me to contact my Tutor to speak to her first. I have left emails and phoned but she never seems to get back to me. She is more than likely very busy but I am getting a little bit paranoid now that she does not want to speak to me or try and help in any way. I found the tutor very unsupportive at the time I was doing the course so now I want to continue my studies at another University. Shall I get in touch with them instead???
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have you spoke to anyone at student finance England? Or the finance department at your uni? Or whatever they call themselves these days.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    It sounds like they are saying that you would not be offered a place on the same course, due to your disappearance from your previous studies. I can appreciate why they would take this stand, surely you could have emailed them?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 26 February 2010 at 6:08PM
    I'm not sure where you are likley to stand financially or even with regards to your place on the course - but you are almost certainly entitled to an appointment to discuss the issue at the very least - so you know where you stand.

As others have stated contact the Univerity's finance department and the SLC.

If you cannot get in touch with your tutor - go above them perhapse to the course co-ordinator or course director? Ask to make an appointment, and have exactly what you want to say prepared, stay calm, and be clear and polite regardless of how stressed you might be feeling. And bring with you any evidence you have of your situation and attempts to make contact with your tutor. Hopefully then the situation can be fully explained to you and you will be able to complete your studies. If the only issue putting you off returning to the same course is the tutor - you will be able to be allocated another tutor.

Good luck with everything - I hope it all works out for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure