Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Fundraising

Options
Hi can anyone give me any advice please.

My husband is running the London Marathon in April for MACS (Micro & Anophthalmic Childrens Society) they support families of children born without eyes and partially developed eyes - a wonderful charity.

He has pledged to raise at least £1000 but obviously the more the better. We are hopeing to have a raffle at his workplace in April but are struggling to get companies to donate prizes. We have contacted large and small companies but I suppose the way the country is at the moment most companies have probably cut back on their donations.

Does anyone know of any companies likely to donate? Also can anyone else recommend any other good fundraising ideas?

I would appreciate any help or advice as he would like to raise as much as possible.

Thanks in advance
Everything Happens for a Reason....

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    WRT sponsorship for the marathon, he needs to set up a page on JustGiving or VirginMoney or similar, and give the link out shamelessly.

I work for a charity, one of my colleagues has given up coffee and has raised over £1000! All in a very short space of time, and most of it via JustGiving.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • clairelou44
    clairelou44 Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    WRT sponsorship for the marathon, he needs to set up a page on JustGiving or VirginMoney or similar, and give the link out shamelessly. QUOTE]

Thanks, he ran the London Marathon for charity in 2009 and managed to raise £1500 through JustGiving - but we do not feel comfortable asking people to sponsor him a second time around as friends and family sponsored large amounts and might feel obliged to do so again.
  • u1bd2005
    u1bd2005 Posts: 80 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2010 at 8:05PM
    Options
    with reguards to the prizes just contact as many places as you can, local businesses, shops, etc... Maybe even places like hairdressers or beauty therapies may be willing to donate a free session.

try national companies too, and the big names such as HMV, New Look, Next, Littlewood, Argos etc... but contact the head offices, not the actual stores.

Offer to add their logo on any advertisments such as posters etc... that you will be displaying and explain what it is in aid of.

With the incentive of free advertising they may find a small donation somewhere.

But the main thing is not to give up, just keep trying and asking, if they say they don't have the authority ask for the contact details of someone higher up in the company.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I dont think there is any harm asking people again if its done right and not pushy after all its a worthy cause, people should be made to feel comfortable at giving and not pushed and or give as much as they can afford even if its just £1 every little helps
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    I dont think there is any harm asking people again if its done right and not pushy after all its a worthy cause, people should be made to feel comfortable at giving and not pushed and or give as much as they can afford even if its just £1 every little helps
    Agree with that, also it's so easy with the online sites, you just get the link out there and it's not 'in your face' at all. Also there's all his colleagues, and also worth asking his employer if they will 'match fund' whatever he raises, maybe up to a limit, but that's very worth while!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • clairelou44
    clairelou44 Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone :A
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Claire I wish him well
This discussion has been closed.