Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Do you give used "basic" clothing items like t-shirts to charity?

Options
Like the title says really. By "basic" items I mean plain t-shirts, vests, trousers etc, which are in good used condition without any major problems? Or are they supposed to go in a rag bin? As they only cost a few quid to buy new.
And also, is it ok to put used underwear, socks(all obviously washed) in a rag bag too? Shame to add to landfill if it can be recycled somehow.

Comments

• angelcatcher
    Options
    Hey there,
    it may be different it various places, but the charity I volunteer at, is always great full for ANY clothing, particularly of high quality.
    And as to underwear - again this could be different depending on the area - yes, we accept that too. However, only stuff with tags go out into the shop however just to guarantee that it is in fact new, but that's the only thing I am aware of. Socks specifically, I'm not sure of as we don't seem to get those, but I see no reason why you can't try and ask maybe anyway.
    I'm not a complete idiot!........... Pieces of me are missing :rotfl:
  • kbl
    kbl Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    The charity shop I volunteer at will take any item of clothing in any condition, as the stuff that is past it's sell-by date is put into recycling bags and we get money for those too. Cheap clothes, underwear, socks, rags, everything welcome. The only things we don't accept are old pillows and duvets (can't recycle those). hth
    Credit card €7892.36/€ 0
    Catalogues €767.52/€ 0
    hospital costs €550
    wtshtf fund 0/ €2000
    #13 1% challenge - 0
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I donate ANY clean used fabrics - even off cuts from my sewing - as it all goes to make up the weight in the ragbags. I do make sure that underwear, shabby clothes etc are clearly identifiable by writing RAGBAG on the wrapper!

Socks, hats scarves, gloves & duvets/ blanket-type things get donated to the homeless charity.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport