does esa medical affect dla

Options
if you fail the esa medical , does this also mean that your dla will be stoped

Comments

• jennilb
    jennilb Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Gutbrod

I can only talk for myself but, so far, no. I failed my medical for ESA in October 2009 and am awaiting the tribunal. I get DLA from July 2009 (MRC LRM) awarded for two years and so far that's been unaffected. This is all related to the same medical conditions and their impact on my ability to cope reliably with my life.

Having said that, I expect they share information between the two departments. So if the DLA think the ESA medical information is relevant then they could decided to review your claim earlier than they had originally planned.

I hope this helps.
    Jenni
  • gutbrod10
    Options
    manny thanks hope it goes your way
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I saw a post on another site and the ESA medical was used in a DLA claim but this is wrong because ESA is totally diffrent from DLA with very diffrent criteria.
  • veggyboy
    veggyboy Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    I saw a post on another site and the ESA medical was used in a DLA claim but this is wrong because ESA is totally diffrent from DLA with very diffrent criteria.

This is not wrong, they used my ESA medical to make the desicion re my DLA. If you already have DLA then it doesn't effect it, but if both claims are ongoing at the same time it will.
    I used to be me !! what happened :confused:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 26 February 2010 at 7:06PM
    Options
    A medical for one purpose can be used for another if less than 6 months apart,however if you are already on dla being refused for esa after an esa medical will not affect a current dla claim,as above esa and dla are 2 completely different things with different criteria
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure