Options
2»

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Under which section of a policy would a policyholder be covered?

The Watchdog Clio boot catch campaign got Renault to deal with the issue.

My understanding is that if the catch was shown to be faulty and not a maintenance issue, the Insurers could look at any damage other than the bonnet catch itself.

This is provided the poster is shown to have complied with the general conditions which are normally as follows.

You shall at all times take all reasonable
    steps to safeguard your car from loss or
    damage.
    You shall maintain your car in a
    roadworthy condition.
    You will allow us to have free access to
    examine your car at all times.

Quentin, if you do not think it is covered, using the Aviva Car Insurance policy wording, please make a case using that wording.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    I can hardly show you the wording to show there is no cover!
  • huckster
    Options
    I can hardly show you the wording to show there is no cover!

The Aviva policy wording is available online. You can copy and paste the relevant cover or exclusion you wish to use to make the argument.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2010 at 1:08PM
    Options
    You post here with an apparent authority on insurance matters!

By pursuing this argument you give the op false hope.

You tell us under which section this is covered! (And why pick on Aviva?)

In the meantime, from the Aviva policy:
    We will not pay for:
    1. Loss of use, wear and tear, depreciation.
    2. Mechanical, electrical or electronic failure, breakdown or breakage.
  • huckster
    edited 25 February 2010 at 2:10PM
    Options
    Damage is covered under a comprehensive policy, provided you have met the terms of the policy.

The won't cover the part affected by the mechanical breakdown and they certainly won't cover the claim at all, if the policyholder has not either maintained the car in a roadworthy condition or taken reasonable steps to safeguard the car from loss or damage.

All I am saying is that this is not a matter of black & white you are not covered. It is up to the poster to pursue this with the Insurers and enter their complaints process if necessary. All I am expecting is for the Insurers to deal with this matter properly, rather than just say ' the computer says no' .
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been paid out in exactly the same circumstances in the past , maybe depends which insurer ??
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    You post here with an apparent authority on insurance matters!

By pursuing this argument you give the op false hope.

You tell us under which section this is covered! (And why pick on Aviva?)

In the meantime, from the Aviva policy:

I haven't got time to post an exhaustive reply but huckster is right. As long as the policyholder has taken reasonable precautions to maintain the car then the resultant damage will be covered, but the part itself which failed will not be covered.
  • cogito
    cogito Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Options
    raskazz wrote: »
    I haven't got time to post an exhaustive reply but huckster is right. As long as the policyholder has taken reasonable precautions to maintain the car then the resultant damage will be covered, but the part itself which failed will not be covered.

That's absolutely correct.

Think of it this way. If there was a sudden failure such as that experienced recently by Toyota owners which resulted in the car going out of control and hitting something, would anyone seriously argue that it wasn't covered because of that exclusion? Of course not.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My brother had water ingress to a diesel engine when a lorry splashed/deluged his car once, result: succesful insurance claim for pro rata cost of new engine considering use so far. The claim was on his, not the lorry's ins as it took too long to realise what the issue was and he did not get the lorry's details.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've dealt with a few claims for damage caused by Clio bonnets popping up whilst being driven. They were all paid under the Accidental Damage Section of the Policy, as previous posters have noted the subsequent damage is covered but not the faulty part.

One of the claims was with Raskazz's company who appeared to have a set procedure for Clio bonnet claims and asked specific questions about the Renault recall procedure in relation to the claimant as in certain circumstances they recover their outlay from Renault.

Many many years ago I had a saturday job at my father's company which included cleaning the company pool cars. I cleaned the engine and did not shut the bonnet properly, the bonnet popped open while my father was driving in the fast lane on the motorway causing a fair amount of damage to the car. This was covered by the Insurers, funnily enough that was a Renault but was my fault
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure