EMA Discussion Area

Options
This discussion relates to the Educational Maintenance Allowance - Get paid to study article.

Click reply to discuss.
Former MSE team member

Comments

• Gillian_Anne
    Options
    Just a quick note to say the forms for applications for academic year starting Septemer 2005 are not yet available - will keep looking to see when ready
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The forms for 05/06 are now available from http://www.dfes.gov.uk/financialhelp/ema/
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A 16 (and over) year old in school or college (non-advanced education) they may be able to receive up to £30 paid into their bank or building society. This is part of the governments plan to encourage 16 yr. olds to stay in education.

Forms should be available now for the next academic year.

Wales - EMA

England - EMA

Northern Ireland - EMA

Scotland - EMA
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • stuartw101
    stuartw101 Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    do you have to apply again? if you are going to go into your 2nd year of college?
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I read on one of the sites that you should automatically receive a renewal form - but if you don't receive one soon I would contact them to make sure you get it.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • nemo183
    nemo183 Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quick note to remind all that EMA also applies to any student, with any special needs, attending either a mainstream or special needs school. Claiming it is a pain, but it's worth it!!
  • stellagypsy
    stellagypsy Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have a query about EMA.

I am trying to help a young person (a friend of my son's) who is estranged from her family and has a college place (3 year FE course) to start in Sept. She will be 18 then and hopes that this course will get her in to Uni, if she passes.

She has had a pretty rotten deal and has really tried hard to sort her life out. She is on the waiting list for a flat through a supported tenancy scheme (they help young people in similar situations to establish independant lives) and they have told her that she can claim EMA / Income Support to help her financially while she is at college. As the forms are out should she claim the EMA now? She is currently on JSA (IB) trying to find herself a P/T job that she still can do whilst she studies. Obviously if she gets a job she won't get the IS but that is for the future - the housing worker said she would get EMA based on her own income, which at best P/T in a shop at 18 will be nowhere near the cut off point.

TIA, Stella
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can see no reason for her not to get the forms and apply now. There is probably a closing date after which she'll lose money, and the sooner she gets the forms in the sooner any queries can be sorted out. Presumably there's some mechanism for telling them of any changes in her financial circumstances. Good luck to her, and good wishes to you for supporting her!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mazio_2
    Mazio_2 Posts: 347 Forumite
    Options
    I have tried to get this for my eldest son but cannot at the moment because my proof of earnings include a redundancy package for 2003-2004 and the EMA form requires proof of earnings from the previous tax year (P60 or Child Credit) which would include this and takes me over the threshold. I now work part time (through choice) and will get a substantially lower wage but cannot claim this year because of last years earning (so I have been told by phone from EMA help desk) is this correct?
    Look after the pennies and the pounds will spend themselves
  • cougar_3
    cougar_3 Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    Mazio, that is correct. If it sounds unfair, it is. The whole thing is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure