Has anyone cancelled their BT contract with success?

Options
Hi There

I just wondered if anyone had been sucessful in closing their contract out with BT due to the expected changes in April and without having to pay any penalty costs for not going the full length of the contract.

Like most people I signed up to BT on a 18 month contract for free evening and weekend calls plus free line connection. I still have a further 13 months left on the contract and so disappointed with the changes BT plan to make. Can anyone advise which is the best way to dissolve the contract with out getting penalised.:(

Any help on this would be great !!:A

Comments

• OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    The 18 month free connection deal does not include free evening and weekend calls,only inclusive weekend calls.

Irrespective of the changes to the call prices,BT will expect you to pay a cancellation fee if you leave early to recover the cost of the free connection.
  • ACDeag
    ACDeag Posts: 742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OldGreyFox wrote: »
    The 18 month free connection deal does not include free evening and weekend calls,only inclusive weekend calls.

Irrespective of the changes to the call prices,BT will expect you to pay a cancellation fee if you leave early to recover the cost of the free connection.

The only way you may be able to get out of it is if you can show that the increase in call costs between 6pm and 7pm is to greatly to your detriment. What would have been evening rate will now be daytime rate if you aren't on a call package. Evening rate is 1.5p/min and Daytime is 5.9p/min plus 9.9p connection fee (up from 9.25p). As BT cannot offer you the old tariff they cannot technically hold you to the minimum term, same would apply to a mobile network that tried to increase its costs unfairly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure