PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'What I wish I'd known as a newbie house seller' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Boba_2
    Boba_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 February 2010 at 8:36PM
    Options
    Patr100 wrote: »
    I think the law rather stricter on descriptions , conditions and liability for sellers etc in Scotland (see the post)
    but perhaps the poster can elaborate.
    It's normal in Scotland (maybe England too?) for the buyer's solicitor to require an undertaking that the electrical/gas/central heating systems are in good working order. Thereafter if they are found to be faulty within (I believe) the first week after completing then the seller will be liable for at least part of the cost of repair.

If not sure then a pre-sale inspection/service may be called for.
  • golddustmedia
    Options
    The bathroom is a somewhat sacred room in the house.

Potential buyers want to imagine this room to be a hygenic sanctuary of peace and privacy.

SO:

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! - nobody wants to see or smell any evidence of the last time the loo was used! So if you know the agent is coming round soon cross your legs or open the window!

TIDY TIDY TIDY! - Take 2 bottles into the shower? Fine. But don't have the other 50 on window ledges or around the bath!

BRIGHT & LIGHT! - Think clinical. Nobody wants a dim bathroom, if a blind or curtain restricts light in the room consider changing it. If the room is naturally dark consider popping in a brighter light bulb!

Taps & fittings looking tired? - Have a good look at the taps on the basin. If they've seen better days consider replacing either the taps or just the tops on them. New looking taps can cost as little as £10 and give a new feel to an old bathroom. Online trade suppliers like Toolstation are a great source for discount stuff like this!
  • golddustmedia
    Options
    You love your kids. Doesn't mean potential buyers do.

Send them round to a friend/neighbour/grandparent etc before the viewing.

If they are going to be at home, turn off the noisy kids tv programme as it stops vendors being at ease in the living room, get them to play in the garden instead which could actually be a selling point in itself as it shows the garden is a safe play zone.

If the kids have toys out to play, try to ensure it doesn't obstruct someone looking round as if a room is "in use" they won't feel comfortable scrutinizing it!

De-personalise! You love all those school photos of your kids over the years. Buyers don't. Try to keep pictures on display to a minimum and as generic or tasteful as possible. People need to imagine THEIR family in your home, not yours!
  • golddustmedia
    Options
    Mow it the day before the viewing.

That way it won't smell like you've just done it and instead conveys the idea that the garden is both smart and low maintenance.

Got a path around the garden?
    Walk around it yourself to make sure there are no unexpected "surprises" along the way. On viewings I've walked through cob webs, stepped in dog poo and found abandoned rubbish, all of which are offputting and cost nothing to deal with before the viewing!
  • golddustmedia
    Options
    During the viewing is not the ideal time to run the washing machine or tumble drier.
  • PottyHouse_2
    PottyHouse_2 Posts: 373 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned .....

second viewings ....... Buyer has already probably been shown round your property by you (or EA) - don't feel the need the follow them around and be over their shoulder !!!

I find it so irritating !! We had one the other day and both Owners followed us round and never stopped chatting - I could not get a word in to my OH and had to keep apologising to interrupt.

When I have 2nd viewings on my own property I say to them when they walk through the door " you know where everything is, go and have a good luck round " !!!!!
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • mags6892
    mags6892 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Be carefull, when a EA says your buyer has a mortgage in principle , usually means they don't. When selling our last house,we had two full asking , from two different people ,our EA told us they had a mortgage in place , they did'nt have any, so both fell through.
  • woodc
    woodc Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    BUYERS BEWARE: My main tip would be to NEVER buy a house where you have to walk through the main room in order to get upstairs... we have lived in this house with a walkthrough living room for 20 years and i absolutely wish we had never bought it. It is impossible to sit in there and relax/watch tv without a constant flow of people walking through, to the bathroom, to the bedrooms, whatever. Now with three teenagers up and down stairs all evening it is impossible to sit in there and unwind, also in winter its soo chilly!!!
    :wall:
  • dizzyblonde2727
    Options
    Linnyg wrote: »
    HIPS are completely pointless. Nobody asked to look at ours and an estate agent was completely stumped when I asked to look at one for a house we were interested in. He didn't know if he was allowed to show it to me and said nobody had ever asked for one before. Searches will all have to be done again by solicitors anyway. Therefore go for the cheapest one you can possibly find. I searched for cheapest on the web, and would do the same again, although they did make a small error with the energy report, but for a pointless set of papers nobody will read who cares!

As first-time buyers who have just had an offer accepted on the place, I can say that WE cared about the HIP. I categorically would not have offered without one. We read it in minute detail and took it into account when making our offer. If you want to attract good serious buyers like us then make sure you have a comprehensive one!
  • pete1976
    pete1976 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice on how to find a good, reliable (and reasonably priced) surveyor?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure