New Post Advanced Search

March 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 February 2010 at 10:01PM in Old Style MoneySaving
998 replies 74.1K views

Replies

• KadeeaeKadeeae Forumite
    652 posts
    freakyogre wrote: »
    Oh dear, I went to Aldi again at lunchtime to see if they had any grapes. They did and I ended up buying 3 boxes of them and another pineapple...I haven't even cut the other one yet. I have a fruit addiction lately!

You've got to watch that, fruit addictions are the worst :rotfl:
  • BluefireBluefire Forumite
    476 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    i do have loads in freezer and could feed us but it is mostly junk, so wouldn't be benefitting us really, maybe do a pizza and salad etc etc.
    I've had this problem lately - last month I started slimming world & suddenly I really had to start thinking about what I was eating and how it fitted in with my diet - resulting in me discovering just how much food I had in the house that it wasn't really good for me or my OH to eat!

However at the end of the day you've bought it, and it's a waste to throw it away or use electricity to keen it frozen if you're never going to eat it. What I did was to make a list of everything I had, highlighting everything that needed eating that once gone I wouldn't be buying again. Then I just worked it into my meal plan for the month so the 'junk' was spread out a bit. After all, once it's been used not only will you be have plenty of room in the freezer for the healthier purchases, but you might find meeting the challenge easier too.
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]08/13 £28,896.49[/STRIKE] 01/18 £0
  • seabrightseabright Forumite
    639 posts
    My favourite yummy & cheap meal (and super-quick) is stir fry. You can use any meat or seafood (or just veg) and whatever bits of veg you've got in the fridge.

For example - 1 chicken breast (or similar amount of meat) per 2 people, some onion, carrot, celery, courgette (any beg really).

Heat some oil in a frying pan, fry the onion and then add the meat. Stick in some soy sauce then add the veg. If you have some seasame oil, add that too.

Serve with rice or noodles.
  • ubamotherubamother Forumite
    1.2K posts
    While you're meal planning, checking cupboards etc, it's also worth keeping an eye on what's going in the bin - are you cooking slightly too much of each meal 'in case' someone wants seconds, are you buying fresh food because it's on special but then it's going off? Loads of advice on this site about using up leftovers if you find you have some!

• uolypool - when you say that OH gave up his job so that he doesn't have to pay maintenace, I presume that you mean your ex OH and not your present OH paying money to other children he has?! If so, I sympathise as my ex OH did exactly the same so we are now into year 3 of no maintenace from him but still paying out hundreds of pounds every month for present OH's kids, rightly so I should add)
    Anyway, I'm afraid that I also think that is probably too high a drop to wisf for, at least straight away. One thing that I am thinking of doing is telling the kids that this is the treats for the week, once they have gone, they are gone and no more will be bought until the next week. Home baking is probably a lot cheaper and healthier than shop bought but that depends on how much time you have on your hands, although you could possibly try & involve the kids in this.
    I'd also say look at your portions as I know that I am guilty of putting too much on everyone's plates particularly the kids & then it gets wasted.

Good luck!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • edited 19 March 2010 at 1:19PM
    emilykaemilyka Forumite
    220 posts
    edited 19 March 2010 at 1:19PM
    I would say it is possible but you'd notice it too much if you did it all in one month. I agree with advise such as less meat/ fish and bulking out with veggies, still trying to keep it healthy. There is a thread on here somewhere (can anyone help!) about keeping each meal to 50p per person per meal, get some ideas from here an then I'd suggest shopping with tesco or asda online as you can see your running total as you shop, spot any deals easily and tesco even advises you if there is a cheaper alternative to a product.

Also, pasta is the way forward- easily make a saucepan full of pasta for under £1.50, tuna sweetcorn, broccoli and bacon, carbonara, pomodoro I could go on!! I also find another one I use a lot when the moneys tight is jacket potatoes, again loads of fillings. Not sure what the children will think though. Fishcakes with homemade chips etc could work though?

Em
    [STRIKE]Saving for a deposit on a flat[/STRIKE]
    :j
    Had offer accepted 21/10/2011
    Survey completed 25/10/2011
    Mortgage offer accepted 22/11/2011
  • I shop around, and I only buy what is needed!!
    Just did huge maccaroni and cheese and froze thats 10 dinners sorted.
    I am tight my shopping is £40 £50 for 4 people. Buy big meat packs and divide down and freeze.
    Always do list for shopping during the week to list as they go. and look in cupboards so you don't over buy.
    Rummage in the reduced section, my son is well briefed in bargin hunting. Also double check offers. I hate Asda as they have loads of buy three for £4 etc and they make you spend more, good old bogof are the best and I will rarely buy two for offers as they make you spend more.

And lastly go alone with a list and stick to it, and ask yourself do we need or want it??
  • guccigooguccigoo Forumite
    483 posts
    had a spend in mr sains today of £11.21. oh dear def over my budget now:eek: think i dropped it too much too soon:(
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • nesssie1702nesssie1702 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Bulk buy stuff like pasta when its on offer, so that you then don't have to pay full price on it when its not.

The Co-op have an Italian event on just now, so that pasta, pasta sauces etc are up to half price.
  • 415SanFran415SanFran Forumite
    743 posts
    ✭✭
    Have you considered Approved Foods?
    They do sell a lot of lunch box stuff, but also good for breakfast cereals, rice, pasta, sauces and cous cous.
    One order once a month, would make a big difference.
    Ebay 13 ;)........1583.46/2000.00 Amazon sales 54/50 Etsy sales 63/50
    Amazon 14.......4/50 Etsy14............46/75. Ebay........23/200