MSE News: Compensation hope after High Court ruling on Foxtons

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The property agent's renewal commission terms have been deemed unfair, leading to potential mass payouts to landlords ..."

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• I will be watching this closely, as I am still being perstered by a LA with regards to an annual 6% charges that was in the initial contract(i know i know i should of read it entirely 1st)
  • wizk1wizk1 Forumite
    911 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the landlords I feel sorry for... It's the poor tenants who effectively have had to pay the commission fees through their inflated rent. If anything, the landlord will be quids in as they won't be passing the benefit to the customer at the bottom of the chain.
  • Gorgeous_GeorgeGorgeous_George Forumite
    8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope anyone recovering the fees remembers to correct their tax returns. They will almost certainly have claimed the fees as an expense.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • I hope anyone recovering the fees remembers to correct their tax returns. They will almost certainly have claimed the fees as an expense.

GG

Good thought. However, I would think that the tax returns stay as they are and any reimbursements are entered as income in the year paid.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • MSE_Guy wrote: »
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The property agent's renewal commission terms have been deemed unfair, leading to potential mass payouts to landlords ..."
    Read the full story:

I'm a (nice) landlord and got charged an additional 11% when a previous tenant wanted to stay in the property after the first 12 months. I paid KFH a hefty £1,300 in 2008. How do I go about trying to reclaim this money? Or is it only people who used Foxtons that will be able to get their money back?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals