🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

BT Contract Cancellation

Options
Hi everyone.

Took out in December 2008 12 month contract solely for phone Unlimited anytime. Broadband with Sky and TV with Sky (their contract up)
Need to tighten purse strings so decided on Virgins Broadband L and Anytime weekend for £23>>>>Ish
When i contacted BT tonight to enquire about contract they say it does not end until Dec 2010 !!!! I said 2 year contract ??? they said no 12 month ( work the math), but they sent me a letter in December ??? Aint got it as far as i can remember but will look

(A)can they tie me to another 12 month contract without a signature

(B) What would be my penalty if i just stopped paying and gave them 1 months notice ?

Hope this makes sense

Regards Paul

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a rolling contract, if you don't cancel after 12m then it renews for another 12m. If you cancel your DD then they will pursue you for the early termination fee.
    No signature is required by you to create a contract, you accept the terms by using the service.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Going_Digital
    Options
    Make a complaint to ofcom the more people who complain the more likely there are to do something about it.
  • DVardysShadow
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    It's a rolling contract, if you don't cancel after 12m then it renews for another 12m. If you cancel your DD then they will pursue you for the early termination fee.
    No signature is required by you to create a contract, you accept the terms by using the service.
    Out of the multitude of sets of terms available, which set do you accept by using the service?????
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport