🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Virgin phone lines - any good?

Options
Hi

Not being able to afford to pay the £125 reconnection fee with BT I'm looking at Virgin as a phone provider as it's a significantly cheaper connection fee.

Are there any pitfalls though that I should consider before I go ahead?

I'd be grateful for others' experiences.

Many thanks in advance,

CW

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shame about the significantly higher call charges...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Nope - the use much of the same Telephone Exchange technology, so technically they are on a par. For some, their network is better quality-wise, (because it was built on a fibre backbone to district hubs). BT are getting round to this, but I believe VM still have the edge,
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    Nope - the use much of the same Telephone Exchange technology, so technically they are on a par. For some, their network is better quality-wise, (because it was built on a fibre backbone to district hubs). BT are getting round to this, but I believe VM still have the edge,
    Sort of correct,the main difference is you cannot have ADSL based broadband on a cable line as they work differently.Unlike BT,who use large PSTN Exchanges,VM use small roadside Mux set-up's which are usually in rings of eight.
  • ACDeag
    ACDeag Posts: 742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

Not being able to afford to pay the £125 reconnection fee with BT I'm looking at Virgin as a phone provider as it's a significantly cheaper connection fee.

Are there any pitfalls though that I should consider before I go ahead?

I'd be grateful for others' experiences.

Many thanks in advance,

CW

Call charges are much much higher. You can mitigate these by getting a Cable Saver plug in box from First Telecom.

http://www.firsttelecom.com/other-products/cable-saver
  • OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    ACDeag wrote: »
    Call charges are much much higher. You can mitigate these by getting a Cable Saver plug in box from First Telecom.

http://www.firsttelecom.com/other-products/cable-saver

You could also use http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php via their 0808 Freephone Number.

But is the op talking about VM cable or VM national?
  • Colliewobble_2
    Options
    Many thanks for your replies.

I think I must mean Virgin media - it would be through a cable.

Will this restrict me to just having Virgin broadband though?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Yes, for any other broadband service (ADSL) you need a BT line.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Buzby
    Options
    spike7451 wrote: »
    Sort of correct,the main difference is you cannot have ADSL based broadband on a cable line as they work differently

Why on earth would VM wish to suppord ADSL on their PSTN? At best a kludge and at worse, alchemy - ADSL was foisted on the public because there was no other way.

Unless of course, you also have a co-axial connection - and can provide BB down the same copper conductor that provides the bandwidth and contention rates BT would die for.
  • Buzby
    Options

It really is a no-brainer. Yes, you are restricted to VM's cable service, but since this has so many advantages over ADSL, not many would wish to downgrade to the ADSL limitations. Over the last 6 years I have had downtime of just 7 hours. That's impressive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport