MSE News: Metro Bank to launch in April

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE news story:

"A new entrant in the UK's high street banking sector today confirmed plans to open its first branches by April ..."
Read the full story:
Metro Bank to launch in April
OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• LokoloLokolo Forumite
    20.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hm. I wonder how they are going to afford 8-8 and weekend opening hours etc.

Would be interested to see what they are going to be offering.
  • wizk1wizk1 Forumite
    911 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Hm. I wonder how they are going to afford 8-8 and weekend opening hours etc.

Would be interested to see what they are going to be offering.
    They'll be pretty good at first, then once they've hooked enough people in, it'll be chod! Just like Santander is doing at the moment. These deals don't last forever.
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I seem to remember reading somwhere that they will not be offering internet banking. With a limited branch network to start with, I don't see many moneysavers getting involved for quite a while.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Seems a novelty idea designed to appeal to those with a traditionalist view of banking - i.e. good branch service.

I would much rather see a new internet only bank, with the operating cost savings passed on through higher interest rates directly to customers. Who cares about being able to take a dump in their local branch (although I'm sure plenty of disgruntled MSE'ers would relish that chance - minus the toilet :rotfl:)?

Good customer service is not provided by some jumped up sales person pretending to be a fully qualified banking expert in a branch. Perhaps Metro Bank will prove me wrong, I doubt it however, as I see it: excessive branch opening hours + toilets (and toilet cleaners) = rubbish product range and/ or poorly trained, low paid, branch staff.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • sav_csav_c Forumite
    42 Posts
    jambosans wrote: »
    Seems a novelty idea designed to appeal to those with a traditionalist view of banking - i.e. good branch service.

I would much rather see a new internet only bank, with the operating cost savings passed on through higher interest rates directly to customers. Who cares about being able to take a dump in their local branch (although I'm sure plenty of disgruntled MSE'ers would relish that chance - minus the toilet :rotfl:)?

Good customer service is not provided by some jumped up sales person pretending to be a fully qualified banking expert in a branch. Perhaps Metro Bank will prove me wrong, I doubt it however, as I see it: excessive branch opening hours + toilets (and toilet cleaners) = rubbish product range and/ or poorly trained, low paid, branch staff.

surely an oxymoron? I can't remember ever speaking to a banking expert in a branch since I opened a bank account for the first time 22 years ago.

I welcome Metro Bank if it's going to be different. Anything has to be better than what we have at present.

It's a shame they won't have an internet banking side though.
    Signature removed by MSE Forum Team.
  • jambosansjambosans Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    sav_c wrote: »
    surely an oxymoron? I can't remember ever speaking to a banking expert in a branch since I opened a bank account for the first time 22 years ago.

Yes, the sentence makes that fairly clear. Apologies if your question is ironically rhetorical.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • premierfellapremierfella Forumite
    875 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember reading somwhere that they will not be offering internet banking. With a limited branch network to start with, I don't see many moneysavers getting involved for quite a while.

Re: internet and telephone banking, it may have been this FT article (website indicates 17th February):
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d2cd4d06-1bf6-11df-a5e1-00144feab49a.html

I looked it up only because my recollection was different - I had read in December that they planned both at that stage. It seems that these were either an aspiration or was subsequently dropped.
  • JuicyJesusJuicyJesus Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The article says that Metro Bank don't have a banking license, which may be something of an impediment to them wanting to be a bank.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Dr_Cuckoo3Dr_Cuckoo3 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    The Metro Bank website is now up and running :T

metrobankonline.co.uk

They claim that they will have "Great Online Banking"

Lets hope the webpage stays the same size when navigating between pages as the current website's pages shrink when clicking on links :eek:

In addition most of the information about the bank seems to be located on newspaper and TV news websites simply linked to from the Metro Bank website :o

Great online banking - I doubt that they will accept online applications

Faster payments - I doubt it

But they do have someone wearing a silly costume and coin counting machines which will no doubt compensate for any shortcomings :)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Alpine_StarAlpine_Star Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    jambosans wrote: »
    Seems a novelty idea designed to appeal to those with a traditionalist view of banking - i.e. good branch service.

So good branch service is a novelty these days. I couldn't agree more.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals