Childminding hours - can someone please confirm?

Options
Am I correct in thinking that it is possible to look after a child for reward as long as it is for less than 2 hours per day without having to register as a childminder?

I was thinking of registering as a childminder but have now decided against it. A lady I know is very keen for me to have her little boy just for an hour before school each day.

In this case, am I covered legally to do this without being a registered childminder?

Comments

• inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have just checked the national childminding association website and they do not mention anything about hours, but do offer the following:

In England, before you can start to care for children under 8 you need to be registered with Ofsted. To become registered you need to:

Go to a childminding pre-registration briefing session. This session tells you about becoming a childminder. Find out when the next session is by contacting your local Children's Information Service. You can find its contact details by visiting https://www.childcarelink.gov.uk

Read the National Standards and complete the Ofsted childminding application pack which you will be given at the briefing session.

Return the form to your Ofsted regional centre.

Use Ofsted's instructions to apply to the Criminal Records Bureau for a disclosure for yourself and anyone else in your home aged over 16.

Have an Ofsted home inspection and suitable person interview, based on the National Standards for Childminding.

Complete an introductory childminding training course, such as Introduction to Childcare Practice (Home-based), and a first-aid course. You must do this within six months of starting childminding.

Pay the £14 registration fee.

Receive your registration certificate and start work as a registered childminder!

The other thing to consider of course is wether you personally will have public liability insurance in place - all registered childminders are required to have this.
    I personlly would go for registration, as everything will be 'formal' - doesn't mean that you have to do more than the time with this child, or that he would reive better care than what you can offer at the moment, but I feel would offer protection to both you and the family.
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes i thought its 2 hours too
  • Mrs_Wobbly
    Mrs_Wobbly Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    It is 2 hours :)
    You may choose to make an informal arrangement with family, or to choose a setting. It is important to consider that anyone providing childcare for more more than 2 hours a day for reward (this could be money, exchanging childcare with a friend or a gift) should be registered with Ofsted, and they should have adequate insurance and training especially in first aid.

Denise
  • ruthyjo
    ruthyjo Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    I agree that its two hours. Worth pointing out if you're not registered the parents concerned won't be able to use salary sacrifice or claim tax credit help with the cost of the childcare.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure