We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Digital Compact Camera Recommendations?
BlueFox
Posts: 450 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Hi, I am looking at buying a new digital compact shortly and have narrowed it down to about 3. My budget is around £250.
The ones I am thinking of are Canon Ixus 120, Panasonic Lumix FX60 and Panasonic Lumix TZ7.
Does anyone have any experience of any of these?
I would prefer to stick to Canon or Panasonic as I believe they are about the best for digital compacts.
Any advice or comments much appreciated!
The ones I am thinking of are Canon Ixus 120, Panasonic Lumix FX60 and Panasonic Lumix TZ7.
Does anyone have any experience of any of these?
I would prefer to stick to Canon or Panasonic as I believe they are about the best for digital compacts.
Any advice or comments much appreciated!
0
Comments
-
Hi,
I can vouch for the Panasonic Lumix TZ7. This is probably the best camera I have owned or used... small enough to fit in my pocket, one of the best optical zoom's for the size and image quality is excellent..
Really fast taking pictures... not the fastest start up however, but about 1-2sec from turn on to taking the pic! (compared to my old Sony compact this is like a Porsche!).
Also, HD video capture... pretty good for a compact camera...
Lots of features such as auto face detection (it even learns who you take pictures of the most and ensures they are more in focus), auto scene detection is great... but the manual settings are also excellent (although I dont tend to use manual as the auto is very good).
best camera buy for a while... not sure if any other camera can top this!0 -
I too am interested in this. I have so far been led to believe the Lumix cameras are best.
Does anyone know if they are any cameras that come near the quality of a hdd video camera for vids?
Thanks0 -
I have been searching for a similar camera over the last few weeks and have been checking WHICH? and all sorts of reviews - my budget was similar and I narrowed it down to 2 bridge cameras - Sony DX1 and the Panasonic fz28 - both have good zoom (20/18). But I decided that I'd get more use out of a compact sized camera and was dithering between the PanasonicTZ6 and TZ7 - only difference being screen size and hdd video on the latter - price difference around £60. Anyway to cut a long story short we decided that the older model was the best as we'd use our video camera for video anyway. Went to Currys yesterday and they had a model TZ65?? Now I was confused - anyway they price matched Argos at £179.99 (TZ6) as they said it was the same. In fact it isn't - its a better model - it has a bigger screen and a button to auto zoom to max optical/then max digital which is really handy.
Have only done a bit of testing but very impressed so far so would recommend - especially if you can get at that price! Don't buy bundle from Argos as the case included doesn't fit! Currys sold one as bundle for £9.99 and we've got accidental damage cover for 3 mths at £1.99/month which covers us for our holiday then we can cancel.
Good luck!0 -
Also this site is good for looking at the differences between the cameras which might help.
http://snapsort.com/0 -
Hi
I usually look at Trusted Reviews for anything electrical. I usually find them pretty accurate in their reviews and scores. Here are the 3 for the models you are looking at
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2009/03/21/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-TZ7/p1
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2010/01/17/Canon-Digital-IXUS-120-IS/p1
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2009/08/22/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FX60/p1
Based on these, the TZ7 wins. But the only way to make sure is pop along to your local stre (such as Jessops) and have a go with them all. TZ7 may come top in the reviews, but it might not just feel right to you, or the Ixus has something you want and the others don't
I would say either the TZ7 or Ixus 120, and you can not go far wrong with either of them, but personally I would go for the TZ7, for the lens and OPTICAL zoom it hasThere are 10 kinds of people that understand binary
Those that do
Those that dont
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:0 -
Thanks for all of your replies - it is very much appreciated :T
It's good to hear what people who have actually used or own them think so thanks.
I was erring towards the TZ7 or TZ6 based on the online reviews so I guess the next step is to visit a camera shop so I can see what they feel like etc.
0 -
If your going for the Tz7 you might want to hold off as the new Tz10 is coming out soon and the Tz7 will probably drop in price.
The new Samsung WB650 should be out in march and looks a nice camera for your budget.0 -
Went to Currys yesterday and they had a model TZ65?? Now I was confused - anyway they price matched Argos at £179.99 (TZ6) as they said it was the same. In fact it isn't - its a better model - it has a bigger screen and a button to auto zoom to max optical/then max digital which is really handy.
I went to my local Currys today, which is next door to Argos (who have the TZ6 in stock for £179.99), so I went to Currys and asked if they would price match and they said NO because it's not exactly the same model
I even spoke with the manager and tried to explain that it is essentially the same camera but he was not interested. Seems silly as I was willing to buy there and then if they would have done it for £179.99.
Oh well. I won't be spending my hard earned cash at Curry's then!
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards