🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Another BT Scam

Options
molerat
molerat Posts: 32,054 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Only a little one this time but as they say Every Little Helps

Just downloaded my latest bill. Due to the new plan charges (increases due to the VAT change) :-
Unlimited Weekend Plan 1 Jan - 16 Feb already paid -£18.95
Unlimited Weekend Plan 1 Jan - 16 Feb new rate +£19.39
= + 44p
Further down the bill :-
Because you paid part or all of your bill before 1 Jan we can give you this VAT refund - 41p.

Bingo bango 3p in the bank thankyou. How many customers at 3p is that :mad:

Comments

• Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Only a little one this time but as they say Every Little Helps

Just downloaded my latest bill. Due to the new plan charges (increases due to the VAT change) :-
    Unlimited Weekend Plan 1 Jan - 16 Feb already paid -£18.95
    Unlimited Weekend Plan 1 Jan - 16 Feb new rate +£19.39
    = + 44p
    Further down the bill :-
    Because you paid part or all of your bill before 1 Jan we can give you this VAT refund - 41p.

Bingo bango 3p in the bank thankyou. How many customers at 3p is that :mad:

I bought bananas in Tesco last night and they charged me and I paid!

SCAMMERS! :mad:

People really have destroyed the word 'scam'. It's meaningless. BT have not scammed you.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To be fair to BT , they like every other business are unpaid tax collectors , so they will have paid over to the government the 44p they originally charged you , then claim back the 41p they paid you .............Oh hang on , seems BT are the ones being scammed?:eek::rotfl:
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • molerat
    edited 22 February 2010 at 3:17PM
    Options
    Ok, I don't care who the money has gone to but I am getting charged 3p extra on this bill for a bill that was invoiced (tax point) and paid in full in December. Why can't BT leave things as they are and not tinker with things that do not need tinkering with. I bet that a clever accountant has worked through this and all the 3p's ends up in BT's coffers.

edit
    Just checked the HMRC guidelines and BT's own T&C's on this matter and they cannot do a retro charge and they have said they will not do it. It is just a fudge with numbers to get more money.
  • molerat
    edited 22 February 2010 at 3:19PM
    Options
    Jemma-T wrote: »
    I bought bananas in Tesco last night and they charged me and I paid!

SCAMMERS! :mad:

People really have destroyed the word 'scam'. It's meaningless. BT have not scammed you.
    I bought bananas in Tesco last night and they charged me and I paid! They didn't ask me for more money after I got home though.
  • pelirocco
    Options
    Ok, I don't care who the money has gone to but I am getting charged 3p extra on this bill for a bill that was invoiced (tax point) and paid in full in December. Why can't BT leave things as they are and not tinker with things that do not need tinkering with. I bet that a clever accountant has worked through this and all the 3p's ends up in BT's coffers.

edit
    Just checked the HMRC guidelines and BT's own T&C's on this matter and they cannot do a retro charge and they have said they will not do it. It is just a fudge with numbers to get more money.

I think you will find it is the government who changed things ( and who end up with the extra 3p .........not BT !! )

I am guessing the the difference may have been caused by the method of invoicing , if they change for different items on a separate line , each entry will have its own VAT element and because this might bring up a figure with too many decimal points ( ie fractions of 1p) the vat will be calculated up or down accordingly , hence the difference in a few pence ..................If this is the case BT's vat account is going to look very messy

Tbh it would annoy me and i would have phoned them up to point out their mistake , but then I'm awkward like that
  • pelirocco
    Options
    I bought bananas in Tesco last night and they charged me and I paid! They didn't ask me for more money after I got home though.

BT havent charged you more , they just refunded you less then you thought they should have?
  • molerat
    Options
    They have charged me more in contravention of HMRC's and their own guidlines and the refunded less. They shouldd not have retrospectively applied the VAT increase. As you say it is due to the way they have invoiced it but it should not have happened in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport