Money Morality - what would you do?

Options

Comments

• umami
    umami Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I didn't mean to typecast bus drivers. I do apologise.You are right ,there are l dishonest people in all walks of life.
  • Trix
    Trix Posts: 10,266 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the bus doors have just closed and it is only starting to drive away then I would shout for the driver to stop. If need be I would get off the bus and go after the person as they can't be far away if they have just got off. If the bus had to pull away before I could get back on, so what. I would catch the next one.

If I didn't catch up with the person, I would give my contact details to the bus company so if the person realised it was there they had lost the money, they could contact me via the company. I would ask for some proof of who they were (such as coat colour etc) so it wasn't just some random bus guy :rolleyes: After a couple of weeks I would assume I had done my best and just keep the money.

My OH was a bus driver for a couple of years and handed in everything he found. What happened to the things after that, I don't know, but he was honest on his part.
    I'm a little angel o:)BUT A WHOLE LOTTA DEVIL
    'Spend your life with eyes open, sleep only to dream of what to do next'
  • MiserlyMartin
    MiserlyMartin Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Miserable dishonest lot! 44% would pocket the note, shame on you! I hope when you next lose some money, you won't get it back.
  • hbl_2
    hbl_2 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    The poll deals (as ever) in painfully obtuse absolutes. I think a combination of things. If I noticed it right away I might try to get the person's attention as the bus pulled away (and try and convey a message of "the next stop mate!"). If it was a regular bus, I might even see that person again the next day. I think I'd get off at the next stop if it was convenient to do so (ie not on my way to work, or an appointment, or another city! and could get another bus easily, or not too far from where I'm going) and having at least made an effort, exhausting the possibility of reuniting the note(s) with the owner, I'd pocket it but not spend it, carry it for a couple of days should I see that person again.

After that time I'd bank it, but not squander it. I'm in a position where £50 would be an awful lot to just lose, but if I did, I would consider it gone and not go to any lengths to retrieve it. I presume many people would do much the same, but it'd still sting. £50 would be no big deal for some, but if they're riding the bus, I'm sure it'll sting as much as it would do for me.

It's difficult to speak of such things without addressing karma, but I dont think such stuff applies. The counter argument is that person should have been more careful, or they did something to deserve it, so karmic questions are circular. So piffle to all that nonsense. However, it would be a seriously altruistic act if you were to see that person again, x weeks from now and say, here mate, did you lose £50? Give me your address and I'll write you a cheque, although that only works if you banked it and saved it! Otherwise might be a bit of a squeeze that month...

Swings and roundabouts really, but I doubt I would ever hand it in to the police if it was £50. If it was £500 on the other hand, I definitely would as there's a greater incentive on the loser to locate it so therefore a higher chance of it being reunited with the owner. If not, nice little windfall.

Just my (lengthy) 2 cents.
    Student Loan Company Ltd: 17,805 (2.8%) Overdraft: 500 (Interest free)
    Savings: £5,100
    - Target by end of 2008 £5,000+
    Net Worth
    1/7/06: -£32,698 -- Net Worth 25/8/08: -£13,350.
  • emilyt
    emilyt Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We found a purse in Chester last year. The only thing it had in it beside about £40 was a phone card. We put £10 on the phone card so that we could get the mobile number. It turned out to belong to a girl of 14. The money in her purse had been her first weeks wage and she was devastated that it had been lost. Spoke to her parents and they gave us there address so that we could send it back to her. Sent it by registered post but didn't have the heart to use the money out of the purse to send it back.So ended up paying £5.00 out of my own money. We got a lovely thankyou letter and i would definately go out of my way to send someone else's belongings back to them.
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile :D
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    I'd definitely hand it in at the police station, and get a receipt. That way, if the original owner claims it all well and good, but if they don't then I'd be £50 better off with a clear conscience! :j Don't think I could live with myself if I just hung on to it without giving the person a chance to get it back.
    Definitely wouldn't give it to the bus driver. (No offence to bus drivers:o but surely if a customer asked the bus company about missing possessions/cash and they didn't have it, they'd suggest asking at the police station?)
    [
  • Clare_Leonard
    Options
    This has happened to me with a £20 note and I did give it to the driver of the bus. I think I would do this again, although my boyfriend (a bus driver) tells me I might as well pocket it, because that's what the driver will do! Perhaps on second thoughts it would be better to give the cash to charity.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd bang on the window to get their attention then ask the driver to stop. But if it was too late to do that I'd hand it in to the driver and give my address. I'd also check who he was so I could follow it up at lost property.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Rebekah
    Rebekah Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    If I lost money on a bus, I wouldn't bother contacting the police, so I don't see the point in handing it in. I think it's been said earlier, the only buses I use are to and from work, at set times every day, so I know most of the other passengers by sight anyway. I'd probably keep it on me for a week or so, but if I never saw them again I'd definitely keep it. If I saw them I'd give it back (providing, of course, that they can quote the serial number as proof of identity... LOL)

It'd be very different if it was a purse or wallet with contact details, I would always hand that in regardless of how much money was inside. But a note, on its own? No chance.
    Mum to three little boys
  • CopperPlate_2
    CopperPlate_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Options
    Whether you see the point in handing it in is irrelevant. At the end of the day, it's theft...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure