Money Morality - what would you do?

in Money Saving Polls
30 replies 3.5K views
Poll started 17 July 2006: Money Morality - what would you do? You're on a bus. the person sitting next to you gets off, the bus doors close and it starts to drive..... at that moment you realise a £50 note has dropped out of their pocket and is on the seat next to you. Which of these is nearest your likely action?

A. Pocket it quietly and silently think hoorah!
B. Hand it in to police/bus driver
C. Take it and give it to charity
D. Give some to charity and keep the rest
E. Leave it on the seat
F. Get off the bus at the next stop and try and track them down

Vote here, or click reply to discuss.

Former MSE team member

Replies

• Ive had this, found a purse with £50 quid in (as it happens,) managed to phone her and return it.

Few years later my misses left her bag some where, fully loaded, phone c cards purse the lot and some bloke found it and phoned us and returned it, sort of what goes around comes around type of thing.
  • jon6_2jon6_2 Forumite
    29 Posts
    I would agree with returning a purse/wallet etc because you have the means to return it. With £50 cash and no way to return it, it's different. I think if I thought there was a way to find the person then I would return it.
  • I'd hand it in to the Police. I'm surprised by the result of the poll so far - 50 quid is a lot of money to someone on a pension, or on limited income, and the thought that they might have to sacrifice buying food for themselves/young children or a paying a bill just so I could get 50 in my hipper - I'd not be able to sleep at night. Besides, loads of buses have CCTV in them now - imagine the shame if you got caught on camera and they tracked you down...
  • LilacLillieLilacLillie Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Why on earth do you think the police would give it back??????????????
    Do you know any police people?
    I would have thought they were the last people to give it to...........a charity at least, but the police??
    I'm lost for words............ for once.

They can't be bothered to come out for crimes nowadays, let alone give some money back to someone who may have a great need for it.
    Someone I know was robbed last night. She lives in a hostel and was left with just the clothes she was standing in.
    There is CCTV of the person going in her room and taking EVERYTHING, yet the police can't give her a crime number, or indeed even come out because they had 63 calls last night and are too busy. They will try to contact her within the next 7 to 14 days!!!!
    The hostel can't keep the tape that long, because they only have 4 tapes????
    We live in a strange world and times.

My friend once handed in £20. They said if no-one claimed it, it was her's.
    She went back 2wks later and they'd lost it and had no record of her handing it in????
    LL

I'd hand it in to the Police. I'm surprised by the result of the poll so far - 50 quid is a lot of money to someone on a pension, or on limited income, and the thought that they might have to sacrifice buying food for themselves/young children or a paying a bill just so I could get 50 in my hipper - I'd not be able to sleep at night. Besides, loads of buses have CCTV in them now - imagine the shame if you got caught on camera and they tracked you down...
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• Why on earth do you think the police would give it back??????????????
    Do you know any police people?
    I would have thought they were the last people to give it to...........a charity at least, but the police??
    I'm lost for words............ for once.

Why would I hand it in just to get it back? Legally, you should hand in what you find to the Police or the owner...so if you can't get the owner, you have to hand it to the Police. Secondly, the person who lost the money might just think that - on the very slim chance it appears from the poll - someone might hand it in and they might check with the bus company or the Police. The bus driver/company is obliged to hand in found property to the Police within a reasonable period of time anyway so the article would find it's way to there eventually. Do I know any Police officers? Oh, yes...
    They can't be bothered to come out for crimes nowadays, let alone give some money back to someone who may have a great need for it.

Somehow, I don't think they'd be tracking the streets trying to find the person, more the off-chance that the person might come looking for it.
    Someone I know was robbed last night. She lives in a hostel and was left with just the clothes she was standing in.
    There is CCTV of the person going in her room and taking EVERYTHING, yet the police can't give her a crime number, or indeed even come out because they had 63 calls last night and are too busy. They will try to contact her within the next 7 to 14 days!!!!
    The hostel can't keep the tape that long, because they only have 4 tapes????
    We live in a strange world and times.

Can't speak for them, but unfortunately calls get prioritised and depending on what else happened, what they're saying might be the truth - that there is no-one available to go to it at the time. Not going to get into a debate about this here though.

My friend once handed in £20. They said if no-one claimed it, it was her's.
    She went back 2wks later and they'd lost it and had no record of her handing it in????

Most Police forces have computerised recording systems that issue the finder of lost property with a reference number and documentation. Poor admin and sloppy work practices in the case above it seems. Even though it had been lost, I'd have expected the money to be handed over regardless.

CP
  • After all. How many people do you know who carry £50 notes? You can't spend then because very few people take them. I can't remember the last time i had one in my pocket!
  • skorpio40skorpio40 Forumite
    989 Posts
    On separate occasions ive found several mobile phones, money, umbrellas, school bags, sports equipment and musical instruments. Ive always handed them in to the inspectors. Well except an odd umbrella. No im not whiter than white i just agree with nelly ........"wot goes round........" Id like to hav anything i lost returned.
    now im back in the ring to take another swing
  • umamiumami Forumite
    731 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    I have handed in a£10 note and after a month the police gave it to me.I have also handed a watch and it was given to me as well after a month.I gave the money to my friend's disabled daughter.The watch got nicked at work one day.I will never hand in anything to a bus driver because in the 70's when I was very trusting I handed in a wallet with £68,no I.D. to thre driver and when I checked with the bus company the next day, I was told a wallet was handed in but there was no money.I had no witnesses, but they(the bus com. people) did come round to interview me.I , unfortunately to this day don't know the outcome.I was so upset that the driver was so dishonest. My australian nephew lost a £50 in london last summer, anyone picked it up?He hated carrying coins, so he was wiser after that.
  • skorpio40skorpio40 Forumite
    989 Posts
    chun wrote:
    I have handed in a£10 note and after a month the police gave it to me.I have also handed a watch and it was given to me as well after a month.I gave the money to my friend's disabled daughter.The watch got nicked at work one day.I will never hand in anything to a bus driver because in the 70's when I was very trusting I handed in a wallet with £68,no I.D. to thre driver and when I checked with the bus company the next day, I was told a wallet was handed in but there was no money.I had no witnesses, but they(the bus com. people) did come round to interview me.I , unfortunately to this day don't know the outcome.I was so upset that the driver was so dishonest. My australian nephew lost a £50 in london last summer, anyone picked it up?He hated carrying coins, so he was wiser after that.
    I can see why you would feel that way but the fact that he was a bus driver dosnt matter. There are dishonest people in all walks of life.
    now im back in the ring to take another swing
  • skorpio40 wrote:
    I can see why you would feel that way but the fact that he was a bus driver dosnt matter. There are dishonest people in all walks of life.

Very true.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Last week's energy Q&A with MSE experts

MSE Forum

Ninja Kitchen air fryer & grill £175

Normally £250. Excl Northern Ireland

MSE Deals