Line rental from Plusnet

Options
I know that the recommended position is to retain your line rental with BT and use the best call and ADSL providers so as to retain maximum flexibility, but I have been having so much difficulty with BT over billing that I am considering changing.

I have been a very satisfied Metronet and then Plusnet ADSL customer for about seven years, so am initially considering changing my line rental to Plusnet. I cannot find many/any negative comments about Plusnet billing or service on MSE, but wondered if anyone who actually has their line rental with them can confirm that they are as good about telephone service as they have been with ADSL.

And yes, I know that Plusnet are owned by BT!

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Plusnet is a resold BT Wholesale service, so technically the service will be the same as BT. The CS should be the same as is available for Plusnet's broadband service, which I have found very good.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • BeardedMan
    BeardedMan Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

I am considering switching from BT to another provider. I did not realise that it was such a minefield of decisions. One wrong move and it could blow up in your face.

Having searched through the threads I am tempted to start using the 18185 service for calls during the day (I do not make many though). There is suspicion that Primus will soon block this (read from another thread). Therefore I am not sure if a switch to them will be a good idea.

I currently have plusnet broadband.

I have narrowed it down to two options.

1) Stay with BT for basic line rental (£11.54 per month). This gives me only weekend calls free. All other calls will be made using 18185

2) Switch to plusnet line rental. £11.25 per month but evening and weekend calls free. I am not sure if 18185 can be used through Plusnet

I am light user so I was wondering what MSE would advise and can someone also clarrify why keeping a BT line is recommended.

Thanks
  • macman
    Options
    Plusnet is not an LLU service, so your line remains on the BT network if you transfer your line rental to them. Therefore no issues with having to return to BT for line rental in future should you want to change broadband providers.
  • BeardedMan
    Options
    Cheers macman, I think the best option for me would be to switch to plusnet for both phone and broadband then. Any daytime calls I make will be made via 18185 in the future.
  • macman
    Options
    AFAIK you can use 18185 with Plusnet, but no doubt someone else will be able to advise if not.
  • bawbee
    bawbee Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am a Plusnet home phone customer and as such can confirm that it is possible to use 18185
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    bawbee wrote: »
    I am a Plusnet home phone customer and as such can confirm that it is possible to use 18185
    .... at the moment (only BT has to allow such access)..
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • steveej69
    Options
    Yours is dead eay to resolve..stay on BT basic, provided you don't go much over your call allowance and get your broadband only from Plusnet for £5.99 a month....I advise my clients this every day, at the moment
  • BeardedMan
    Options
    steveej69 wrote: »
    Yours is dead eay to resolve..stay on BT basic, provided you don't go much over your call allowance and get your broadband only from Plusnet for £5.99 a month....I advise my clients this every day, at the moment

Thanks Steve,

Having reread the latest comments I think that would be the best option for me for to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure