🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Trying to move from BT

Options
My Mum gets her home phone and broadband from BT. She has an account online and they bill her online but she doesnot remember her password so cannot access her account. She would like to move to the post office for this service but doesnot know how to switch when she cant log into her account.

Causing a lot of stress - any ideas greatly appreciated!
Current mortgage 133k
Purchase price 171k
Fixed deal ends sept 2019
Current repayments 640pm
Savings approx 60k

Comments

• Lancastrian
    Options
    Go to the BT site to log in. The user name and user password boxes both have "remind me" boxes. The system will check you out, even down to using your email address. The option is then to make up a new password. How about " goodbye" ! !
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi countrygirl27,
    If you Mum clicks on the forgotten password link it will send a new password by email to her email address. She needs to copy and paste the new password into bt.com and she will be prompted to change it.

Many Thanks
    Donna
    BT Support
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To cancel a service you probably need to call BT rather than do it online. That gives them the chance to offer you a better deal and talk you out of it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    To cancel a service you probably need to call BT rather than do it online. That gives them the chance to offer you a better deal and talk you out of it.

They didn't talk me out of leaving, best move I have ever made, glad to see the back of them.

Nightmare outfit.
  • dannymccann
    Options
    Yep get her away from BT asap, overcharging monopoly, terrible business to be a customer of
  • countrygirl27
    Options
    Thanks for the advice have managed to get into account and sent email asking to cancel. Was much easier than I thought once I had found the button to get a temporary pin.

Am probably going to move to the post office and take their £20.95 a month package, but have read some bad reviews of their broadband service. Does anyone know if I'm just going from the frying pan into the fire?
    Current mortgage 133k
    Purchase price 171k
    Current repayments 640pm
    Savings approx 60k
  • Mark_In_Hampshire
    Options
    The Post Office broadband service *is* BT Broadband, simply resold under another name.

If you have the PO as your line supplier you can choose from most BB providers. The best ones - those with a good reputation whose users commend them - are Zen Internet and AAISP.
  • countrygirl27
    Options
    I dont mind that its still BT I just want to pay less!
    Current mortgage 133k
    Purchase price 171k
    Current repayments 640pm
    Savings approx 60k
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I dont mind that its still BT I just want to pay less!

Look at https://www.samknows.com for your LLU options as a starting point.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family