🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

BT has ended pay and call

Options
Hello there,

Probably someone else has posted this but I am very surprised and somehwat shocked that BT has ended pay and call for its vulnerable customers. I have a family member who falls into that group and previously under pay and call it was impossible to run up a debt of more than £60 under the pay and call scheme. (Was explained to me by bt customer service)

But Bt has ended pay and call now and that family member of mine was able to run up a bill of almost £400, and probably will do so again as he has neither the sense or mental ability to manages his finances, also lives on his own so a phone is a necessity.

Why BT have you ended the service?

needtoknow

Comments

• Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    Could get him a PAYG mobile instead? Would he know how to load it? If not, you can control what gets put on it so he can't run up that debt
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi needtoknow,

There are things that we can do to stop calls being made on the line. I can arrange to have premium numbers barred if these are the numbers that are being called. I can also arrange call barring. Is this person registered as chronically sick or disabled? If not does this person have a social/care worker that can get them registered. This is important as if they are extremely vulnerable and registered in this way different rules apply and more time is given to pay bills. A business decision was made to cease pay & call and introduce a new service, BT Basic. If you need any further help or advice with this come back to me.

Many Thanks
    Donna
    BT Support
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would call barring premium numbers and/or international numbers combined with the £17 per month unlimited anytime package not suffice?
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    I was informed BT P&C was ceasing last August & mine was switched over in October,Although it's costing me more with the new BT line,my highest bill has been £27 ish.
    I pay online by debit card every month &,after BT landed me with £140 in bank charges a few years ago,I'm happy to pay the extra as no way on this earth will I let BT have access to my bank account for payment by DD!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport