Electric window woes

Options
raddy59
raddy59 Posts: 331 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I rolled down the elctric window on the Honda Civic and heard a grinding noise. The window had gone down, so I tried to put it up again and it wouldn't move. It appears the rubber had warped in the heat and now the window is off track and the window rubber is all 'wiggly' (is that a word)? Do I call autoglass, or take it to a mecahnic - expensive!
:eek:

Comments

• onredbull
    onredbull Posts: 403 Forumite
    Options
    HI
    I WAS WONDERING IF YOU FOUND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM :confused: WAS WITH YOUR WINDOW AND IF YOU HAVE HAD IT FIXED AND/OR CAN PASS ON ANY ADVICE PLEASE.

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME LAST WEEK DURING THE HOT WEATHER. :cry:

I PRESSED TO WIND THE WINDOW DOWN AND THERE WAS A CLICKING NOISE UNDER THE BUTTON AS IF SOMETHING SMALL WAS STUCK UNDERNEATH. THOUGHT NOTHING OFF IT. :doh:
    CLOSED THE WINDOW - PICKED UP LITTLE BOY FROM NURSEY - DROVE TO FRIENDS WITH WINDOWS DOWN. THEN THE WINDOW WOULD NOT SHUT. :cry: SPENT ABOUT 5 MINS TRYING TO SHUT IT AND EVENTUALLY IT DID CLOSE.

THE HAS HAPPENED A COUPLE OF TIMES AND NOW I WONT OPEN THE WINDOW OF FEAR IT WILL NEVER SHUT.:sad:

:confused: CAN YOU HELP OR ADVISE IF YOU HAVE DONE ANYTHING ABOUT YOURS PLEASE.

THANKS.

P.S. I HAVE A NISSEN CAR.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    :kisses3: "In Raising Your Children;" :kisses3:
    "Spend Half As Much Money n Twice As Much Time."
  • Silent_Bob_3
    Silent_Bob_3 Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    Take the door card off (the door lining) you should then be able to get to the mechanism of the window and see whats jamming it. I did this on mine when two of the bolts holding the window guides in place came off and the window dropped down inside the door.
    Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Snoochie Boochies
  • onredbull
    onredbull Posts: 403 Forumite
    Options
    "Take the door card off (the door lining) "

On the door surrounding the door handle is material - the door lining.
    I have to take this off - How ? :confused:

:think: Do i just pull at it ?

you should then be able to get to the mechanism of the window and see whats jamming it.

Then i will be able to see inside if there is anything jamming it.

I did this on mine when two of the bolts holding the window guides in place came off and the window dropped down inside the door. :T

Am i looking for something along the width of the horizontal part under the window / rubber seal ?

Sorry to sound :female: stupid and thick but i dont know anything about cars and really need to learn. :doh:

I went to nissen garage this morning to ask about what it may be and they said it would be a minimum of half hr job at a cost of £45 per half hr to take the panal off the door.
    Then they would have a look to see what was wrong and be able to quote me on the cost of what needed to be fixed.

They would be ripping me off :eek: wouldnt they ~ £45 to take panal off and you told me what to do in 5 mins and i will see if i can do it and how long it takes a girl to do it !

Thank You again:beer: for replying and your advise - i hope i have understood what you have said ok and ill let you know.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    :kisses3: "In Raising Your Children;" :kisses3:
    "Spend Half As Much Money n Twice As Much Time."
  • Sting_2
    Sting_2 Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    I had a very similar problem with a car of mine I had many years ago. It was a manual window, although it is similar to the mechanism of an electric window.

It sounds like your window regulator has gone. Put simply this is a cable which when the handle turns (or the motor turns in an electric window) moves this cable which moves the window up or down.

At the time I owned a VW Golf and I popped down to the scrap yard and bought one for £10 and fitted it myself, helped by a Haynes manual.

If you took your car to a garage I am guessing the part would be around £40 and I fitted mine in about 30mins so you would hope a garage could do it in the same time or quicker!
  • raddy59
    raddy59 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Options
    Oneredbull
    I managed to get the window up, but I'm sure the rubber has warped. I haven't tried to get the panel off yet - I am living with it for the time being. I too would like to know how easy it would be to get the 'door card' off as 'Silent_bob' suggetsed.

Come on 'Silent_Bob' - break your silence and tell us how easy it is to get the door card off!
  • rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Sting wrote:
    I had a very similar problem with a car of mine I had many years ago. It was a manual window, although it is similar to the mechanism of an electric window.

It sounds like your window regulator has gone. Put simply this is a cable which when the handle turns (or the motor turns in an electric window) moves this cable which moves the window up or down.

This happened to my Dad in a Lancia Beta. It was a nice sunny day and he came in soaked through because it happened in a car wash :eek:
    He was one of those men who wore a suit everywhere (even to the car wash) - at least it got a clean :)
    I did ask (I was about 20 at the time) why he just didn't drive through but he'd been too busy trying to get the window winder back on.
    Can I help?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport