Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

New community service set-up

Options
A friend of mine wants to set up a small organisation for the benefit of the local community, pro tem run by volunteers, but is not sure whether or how to register as a business or some kind of non-profitable organisation. He has chosen a name and bought web addresses, but we don't know how to protect the business name from being pinched. Any comments/suggestions gratefully received. Thanks JC

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    First of all, you need to decide whether this is going to be a business or a community organisation as this will affect the kind of legal structure you adopt and the way in whcih the organisation is run.There is no way to protect a business name without incorporation.
    How is money going to be raised, what is the organisation going to do? Lots to consider and you really need to go and see your CVS and CDA for help. PM me if you have any problems making contact with these organisations.
    See my sticky on starting a charity on the Small Business and Charity Organisers board here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2145241
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • chocsessential
    Options
    Is it going to be a social enterprise? Business Link might be able to advise him about free training courses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure