🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

0% CC for a 10K Car Purchase?

Options
I am about to buy a car for around 10K'ish.

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on using one of the 0% cards for this? What is the average credit limit? My thoughts are I just pay of as much as I can quickly, and move cards as the 0% offer runs out.

Or would I be better just looking for a regular personal loan with a good rate and flexible payment terms?
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy

Spike Milligan

Comments

• Need_More_Money_2
    Options
    Garage will probably charge you a handling fee to pay that amount by credit card
  • gazza975526570
    gazza975526570 Posts: 3,275 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what credit limit you get will depend upon your individual circumstances and credit history.

IF this is your first cc i would suggest it unlikelyy you would get a £10k limit if you already have a good credit history and a decent wage its possible
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did this 3 years ago. Paid for a £10k car using 3 different cards (dealer had no probs with it) while I looked around for the best loan deal. My dad suggested doing a BT onto a 0% card and saving a packet in interest, so I applied for an Egg card, got a big limit, and have been 'tarting' ever since. Have saved the expected packet, but a few words of caution:

1. You've got to be very organised - miss a payment deadline and you'll lose your 0% deal. Forget your deal is coming to an end and you'll be clobbered for interest.

2. BT fees are now the norm - around 2%. Make sure you go for a capped fee.

3. Egg's anniversary deal (0% for 5 months) meant I didn't have to keep applying for a new card each time, but could switch fee-free back to Egg. They now charge 2.5% uncapped.

4. Regularly applying for new deals can affect your credit rating so you might get turned down eventually. You might also be offered a credit limit that's too low to switch the balance to, leaving you with a problem. If your rejection comes late in the day you'll have no time to apply for an alternative card and you'll get stung for interest on the old expired deal.

5. It's very tempting just to pay the minimum, which means your loan will take much longer to pay off even though you're avoiding interest.

6. When you get accepted for a new card with a decent credit limit, it's tempting to transfer another balance to take advantage of the 0%. I did this when I bought a new PC - over 18 months later that's still outstanding on top of the original car loan, which means it'll be a few more years till that's paid off, by which time i'll probably need a new one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport